MFB Tanzbär Mk1

i wonder how you guys who own a tanzbär feel about the accessability of the unit. i’m planning to buy one, as i like the concept of having dedicated ui elements for every main function. what i don’t like about the machinedrum (and every elektron device, tbh) is the fact that you have to do a lot of menu diving. as i understand, there are some hidden (shift-) funtions on the tanzbär as well. how is that in every day experience? also, could someone give a comparison to the jomox xbase999?

Well its great. I used it about everyday as i was the resident “dj” out in Thailand Bangkok. (Kao Shan Rd). It thing holds it’s own and cuts through the ot mixer like butter. Great match with my OT. I sold all three volcas but i found it cool to cv them via tanzbär. Though i took it from my hotel to the club everyday and rocked live improv for hours on end its more of a studio piece as it has many outs and the way the pattern loader works. When playing live i started with a clean or basic pattern then knob tweak. Its great for knob turning and its easy as hell to operate since there is practical no menu lcd crap. You would use it as a highly dependable and dedicated drum machine. You mute and tweak and tweak and mute and program and tweak. Simple and it works. Ive got the Elektron Rytm as well and it’s hard to work on the compared to the ease of the overall of the Tanz but for me im using the rytm for different reasons. The Tanzbar blows the tr8 the FUCK out of the water and you’d be stupid to compare. The tanz would need a case or something to travel in to protect the forest of knobs. (They are replaceable). Btw i am selling my Tanzbär for a very good price (Los Angeles, California) pm if needed

http://www.mixcloud.com/reubenirving/fofn-housewarez-bangkok-thailand-april-2014/Hear it a demo of a set i did in Tailand with the Tanzbär and the OT.

Solid stuff, sounds like mucho fun playing! And thanks for the offer, but i’m located in germoney, so it will be surely a lot cheaper to buy a used tanzbär locally.

Thx n goodluck

same here hmm then use foil or tape it. i used a long rubber band

Do you have any idea what the diameter measurement is on your adapter? It might be on the label. I’m going to try to find a slightly bigger one rather than ghetto-rig it lol.

It’s intended. Toms are panned on the stereo out as well as far as I recall.

Ok great. Thank you for the fast reply, time to mess with the tanzbar

I have one too… those kicks! :slight_smile:

I got a Tanzbar last week after toying with the idea and holding off for a year… the sound? holy shit batman…!

Hi,

I just got a tanzbar.
mini review:
Its great and the build quality is way better than I thought it would be.

Anyways, I noticed that the CY is slightly panned to the left when using the stereo output. This could be intentional or because of analog circuits but there could be an issue.

Could a tanzbar owner perhaps be so kind as to carefully and critically listen to the cymbal (CY) in stereo to see if there is a slight deviation?
Thank you.

Anybody know the diameter of the power supply I should try to find? I just ordered another Tanzbar; I sold my first one to fund a RYTM. I remember the first time I got a power supply for the Tanzbar it was a little loose, and easy to accidentally unplug.

Own a few drum machines, tanzbar is the best sounding modern analog drum machine in my mind by a longshot

2 Likes

I am very impressed so far… the workflow isnt that difficult at all if youre coming from Elektrons. No screen and a few button combinations - its really hard to make it sound bad.

When I got my Tanzbär it wasn’t receiving MIDI clock or CV clock signals for some reason.

I finally got around to opening it up (should have taken pictures)

I found a lot of joints that hadn’t been soldered at all. There are two white 8 leg chips which function as the MIDI optocouplers (6N138 equivalents from memory).

Half the legs hadn’t been soldered at all. I soldered them and now I have MIDI clock functionality.

While I was in there I decided to try an upgrade on the small trimmers to some nice Song Huei 9mm tall trimmers (with white indicator, thanks!)

I’ll open it back up to replace the rest. I’ll make sure to take pictures of my repairs/upgrades to post here.

Still feel like this is my favorite sounding Analog drum machine, so happy to have one!

7 Likes

You make me wish I was an electronics engineer, being able to do all that stuff is so cool. Glad you’re e noting your Tanzbär, I’m sure I’ll have one some day.

1 Like

That’s kind of why I went into electronics. I needed to make money and also figured it wouldn’t hurt to learn about the instruments I was obsessed with.

The thinking was that masters know their instruments in and out. How they are made and how they work. How many electronic artists can say that for real?

Anyway, I just want to make music or music related stuff now. I can’t imagine going back into a lab designing chips for RF or smart home devices (some previous work I did).

2 Likes

Sounds like you may be able to fill a gap in MFB support and QC issues. Love the Tanzbär, especially after learning its fiddly interface! It beat out all other drum machines when I chose only one, based purely on the strength of sound.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind doing the work if I had access to the firmware to flash to the chips inside (for the sequencer).

Everything else is analog electronics which I can repair or replace pretty easily.

2 Likes