MFB Dominion Club

Thanks. You use it much, the Club? I like that it seems to share the sweet spot all over the place mentality of the MFB drummers. That’s a reason to get one, after all, maybe.

IMO Dominion Club’s envelope and filter knobs are so snappy p-locking them wouldn’t do it enough justice. Live tweaking and motion recording is where it’s at.
Alternatively the Tanzbär 2 synth voice can be p-locked.

I like the variation between both instruments.

1 Like

I can spend hours doing just that, and varying the three oscs and the FM algo - without even getting into motion sequencing, as the LFOs and mod destinations allow for some intricate rhythms to emerge.

3 Likes

Boom. Found one dirt cheap. And a 301 Pro, which the Tanzmaus apparently can control. Double boom.

The MFB sound is really growing on me. These boxes and a Blackbox, and we’re off to funkytown.

3 Likes

Did I just say funkytown? I did, didn’t I?

This must be why my kids won’t be seen with me in public these days.

6 Likes

Played with the Club for two days now. It’s quickly growing on me. The envelopes might be some of the funkiest around,

4 Likes

Why so very few demos of this nice synth?

3 Likes

I think about this all the time and it’s exactly what bought me to this topic to discover your comment just now :joy:

I used to have one and really loved it but couldn’t afford to keep it. Hoping to get another one in the future, but I’m always surprised that even over several years there haven’t been very many demo vids that really show what it’s capable of. Maybe I’ll do that when I finally have it again.

1 Like

Wondering how this would do as a little analog partner to Digitone…

That’s exactly my setup at the moment.

Here it is nestled up behind my Digitone Keys.
I’ve not got a lot of music time at the moment, so keeping it as simple as possible.
It’s a lovely sounding synth. The oscillators sound great and the envelopes and state variable filter command you to constantly tweak them.
It is a strange interface and I don’t really trust the patch storage (I don’t use it, i just start from scratch every time so it’s effectively wyswyg).
I love it! It’s one of the best monos I’ve owned despite its strange shortcomings.
I’ve not recorded much for a while, but this is a recording from a couple of years ago, really just me playing around with the filter and oscillators for a while.

6 Likes

I like the aesthetic, and really like the size, but the sound while okay is not quite right for me - doesn’t contrast enough with the Digitone enough, maybe.

Why so few people buy this synth?
What are the main differences to its father…[Dominion One?
Thanks!

Hi all, I am looking for a brave monosynth to add to my Analog Four and Prophet 12 set up and the Dominion Club seems interesting for the many knobs and SVF. I am a big fun of MFB drum machines and perhaps a the Club plays well too. On the web I have read many reporting OS bugs, are they still present or now it works smoothly?

1 Like

What bugs have you seen mentioned? Mine generally runs fine with some idiosyncratic behaviour, as is often the case with MFB devices. I can try to let you know if any of the particular problems reported occur on mine.

I have read that some have not stable oscillators and filter, have issues with saving and recalling patches and issue with sequencer and syncing with other devices. Some people suggest to not use it at gigs as it is not trustworthy. The major attraction for me is the SVF which ca act as a Oberheim SEM even if it is 24dB. If all the issues are true, I would focus on a Microzwerg if I find one.

I’ve not noticed any of these issues personally - I don’t sync it often, but when I do it has been fine. The oscillators seem stable to me, as is the filter, and I will regularly leave the Dominion Club arpeggiating for hours (often synced to an Analog 4 and a Juno-60) with occasional tweaks as it sounds so good and is knob per function for all the important controls.

Saving and recalling patches is not buggy, just fiddly - in a very MFB way - and you have to be careful not to turn the value knob for patch selection while playing as if you hit “load” or “save” by accident you can lose or overwrite what you have. As long as you turn the selection knob away from patch selection this is fine, and is a slight design annoyance more than a bug.

The biggest issue on that front would be making sure that the mini-USB power cable doesn’t come loose; mine is OK so far, though it has come out when moving the synth around without taking appropriate care; but of course USB-B would have been preferable.

Good luck with your search! Of course it has no patch memory, but if it sounds anything like the Kraftzwerg (which I love for its filter in particular) it would be an excellent option.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will think a bit more and then decide.

1 Like

How much was dirt cheap :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Don’t recall. But I felt very filthy.

1 Like

A synth which is advertised as portable but you can’t even find the actual physical dimensions of the product anywhere… Can someone please provide them?