Metal pipes steam

Nauts could do with your help

I am currently working at a petro chemical site. There is a big nitrogen tank there that groans and creaks…it’s fantastic, almost like it is alive

I need sounds like that. The closest I’ve found are these
https://retired.sounddogs.com/results.asp?Type=1&CategoryID=1010&SubcategoryID=29

This is from meagre searching from my phone as I’ll not be home for at least another week, would love help finding similar sounds

Many thanks x

3 Likes

Try getting hold of a Zoom recorder and a mic and capture the sound. It’s a lot of fun, both the recording and experimenting with back home.
Plus they will be your own unique samples.

6 Likes

Try to sample

2 Likes

Far too noisy there for recording sadly

Contact microphones?

Look for samples involving dry ice and cymbals or any other metal. Commonly used technique in foley and sound design.

1 Like

Best of luck

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

Thanks Brute

I must also say we’re not allowed any form of electronic device on site incase we blow it up

110v tools from a diesel generator are fine though :thinking:

2 Likes

Seems like a 110 V diesel powered field recorder is the way to go then!

1 Like

Haha

I had a job once at a factory too with all these sweet metal pipes and steam and noises. Sometimes there’s even some rhythmic stuff going on. There’s definitely a beauty to such a soundscape. They had a similar policy about electronic devices in certain areas.

I don’t know how strict they are at your place, but I’ve seen people walk around with their phones in these areas without anybody lifting an eyebrow. Had a chat with a superior about recording some of the noises and we jokingly came to the conclusion that as long as the recording device is outside of the designated zone, I can use a veeeeery long XLR cable and a microphone to record the stuff. As long as there’s only a very small signal-voltage going in and out of the zone it’s fine.

So I’m neither confirming nor denying that I recorded some samples, but since you mentioned noise – I was able to cut out lots of unwanted noise with filters or gates on my samples.

1 Like