Meris -pedals? Are they as good/better than Strymon?

Has anyone gone from the OTOs to Meris? I’m curious about the modulation options and sound quality.

that’s one hell of a pedalboard!! lovely!

Hello.
I’ve gone from Eventide to Strymon to Empress to Meris pedals. I like Meris the most and Eventide the least.

1 Like

Back before I broke this all down and sold off most of it to fund synth purchases :joy:

6 Likes

I’m trying out a Polymoon new, and have some experience with the Strymon Volante. My preference is clear, I much prefer the Polymoon, though by no fault of the Volante.

For me, as usual a very subjective experience, the Polymoon has more stuff going on for an effect that you’d want to pair with a synth specifically. The smearing of the delay tail, the LFO and filtering, such things. It feels more like an fx that you would find in a clever synth, and less like a pedal that’s just great for guitars and synths too. I’m also finding it slightly easier to work with, though it has its confusing level of shift + knob settings like the Volante. But my muscles remember them better, they just make more sense in where they’re placed.

Also, size and looks both win over the lime green Volante behemoth :slight_smile:

But - while I had the Volante, for a few weeks borrowing from a friend, I loved it. So it’s not like the Volante isn’t great. It’s just that I think the PolyMoon is even greater.

1 Like

I use the Enzo with guitar (and sometimes bass) and it sounds pretty phenomenal. I’m a sucker for guitar synth pedals as I also use an EHX Microsynth, EHX Mel9, EHX Superego+ (man do I sound like an EHX fanboy), and some of the Line 6 HX Effects synth modules.

Gotta say the Enzo tracks the best/fastest of all these (minus the Microsynth which is all analog) and has a huge pallet of sounds between its four modes (mono, poly, arp, guitar). I’ve also been eyeing the Hydra. From the demos I’ve seen, it looks like it can do all the old school Eventide Harmonizer type stuff as well as a ton of other amazing sounds.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of there pedals. Also, their customer service is impeccable. I’ve emailed them multiple times and got super fast responses.

and which reverb won for you in terms of simple and short to med length plate?

im curious to, I have the oto bim+bam, empress reverb+echosystem, dba rooms, but now i’m feeling i need the meris ones too haha!

I got a Hedra for the midi re-pitching feature (which is great!) and delayed harmonies with glide! Then came a Merc7, then a Polymoon. I like them more than the H9 Max’s I’ve used for years. They’re more like instruments in and of themselves. I still like the diatonic harmonizer and some of the envelope-following stuff in the H9s, but these Meris pedals are killer fun.

I’m back to the BIM and have a Mercury7 alongside.

1 Like

I have the Polymoon, Ottobit and Hedra.

Excellent sound and they’re a bit “different”.

If you have a MIDI interface like the Meris I/O or Disaster Area stuff, check this out, it unlocks way more potential for the Meris pedals:

2 Likes

I have a Mercury7 and a bunch of Eventide gear. The Mercury7 is phenomenal - all Meris pedals all - but it‘s strong point is longer more epic reverb (although the plate algo can also be dialed down nicely).

3 Likes

There’s another set out there that run on the browser. These look easier to use. The Hedra can be tough to set the scale by knob since there’s no little clicks to let you know. I’ve been programming key via midi. The preset set feature of this looks nice too!

Thanks for sharing!

The guy that made this is a pretty damn smart cookie
I think he’s some kind of software engineer that hobbies as a musician

Programming these pedals to do something specific is a pain.
For me, having the full duplex midi so I can set the pedal up to mirror the preset, then start tweaking on the hardware is really the best of both worlds.

Also, setting up the expression top and bottom is WAY easier this way.
I’d be willing to bet a week’s salary that the expression functionality on these pedals is the most underutilized by everyone.

2 Likes

I’m using exp over midi from my MC6… and yes, it completely changes what’s possible. I really like swelling in the pitch in the merc7 via exp. The Polymoon can get insane and then back under control in a heartbeat. Really wild indeed.

2 Likes

hmmm i have an expression pedal. what do I need to try this on my polymoon?

1 Like

From their site:
Our effects pedals can interface with almost any standard expression pedal with a TRS style 1/4″ cable

Should be as easy as that

2 Likes

I use the Moog expression pedal (EP-1) for my Mercury 7. It helps with the breath of my playing versus using just the mix knob. When you have hand independence while playing and bring in the intended pedal effect it’s a more impactful presentation.

2 Likes