Meris LVX and MERCURY X

I’m wondering the same thing. The thing I love most about the CXM over the Mercury 7, though, is the hands-on shaping compared to all the “alternative” shift-controls and fussiness of the Mercury.

On paper, it seems like Mercury X ought to give pretty direct access to all this and more. But I honestly can’t make heads or tails of its crazy UI. I worry I’d be right back to “I can tweak all these params, but it’s such a pain that I never do” and missing the CXM.

2 Likes

That’s true. Nothing can come close to have big hands on sliders for tweaking. The lvx delay is out of this world good and I barely use it cause I like real time tweaking more than building sounds. These pedals’ strength isn’t in real time tweaking and jamming.

The thing that has held me back from buying a LVX is the menu system in the pedal, so seeing as this is a lvx but reverb I personally feel like CXM beats this and that is only due to how hands on it is… I doesn’t really matter how much better it can potentially sound over the CXM 1978 because knowing myself, I would hate to work with it.

Now I would be all over an Automatone delay pedal though!

1 Like

It is never a mistake to get a CXM 1978.

Having said that - what’s going on here? :slight_smile: What are we talking about?

2 Likes

Oh, ah, ok. No, you didn’t make a mistake. Not even close.

1 Like

Actually, the case for the CXM is quite unique, I’d say, having recently tried the Lexicon it’s based upon. There’s this haunting, almost siren song-like sound from the CXM that I’m hearing nowhere else, including in the original Lexicon reverbs. The more you dig into the CXM, the more you realise it’s very much its own thing, inspired for sure and influenced by vintage reverbs but also very much its own.

1 Like

ooo this looks awesome. I am very anti menu divey but the LVX has a pretty good workflow and sounds incredible. will pick this up at some point as my “studio” reverb.

3 Likes

I thought the LVX was (still is) pretty cool, but I didn’t have a burning desire to get one. While maybe not as capable, I’m still very happy with my Empress delay. This Mercury X though… the GAS is fierce.

3 Likes

how many presets do you have access to via the pedal without using midi editor?

Seems incredible, honestly exactly what I’d want from a verb pedal, but I found the LVX interface really awful to use and it’s not like this is any different.

2 Likes

Man I have to stop opening threads about reverb pedals. I have lots of great options already. But GASsing hard for this.

2 Likes

Ha, I was just thinking the same thing, as I have the H90 and other options. But man, both these Meris pedals seem super creative and useful.

1 Like

Yeah, the sounds and options available are first class- but I never felt pulled to use it. It sits on my shelf, admired but unused.

I’ve been going back, watching and re-watching a lot of videos on the LVX and I’m coming to the same conclusions as I did initially. It’s incredibly feature rich and powerful but for me that’s more of a negative than a positive. What I really want is just bread and butter (traditional) delays that sound fantastic. No doubt the LVX can do that, but they seem lost or at least out of focus and mixed with other FX (e.g. flanger, pitch shifting, etc). All the presets I hear on videos aren’t delay focused, but rather featuring all these other FX combined. That’s cool, super creative and all, but not what I want the focus to be about.

That’s why I went with the Empress Echosystem. It has a little of that but the focus is really more just get down to business delays. Knob per function usage and not much time to figure out what’s going on, but still deep enough. Also why I’m a big fan of the Zen Delay, but that’s a somewhat controversial choice.

So why do I keep looking at other delays? Good question. Just that perpetual chase of the elusive ‘there must be something better out there’ option. Again, I’m sure the LVX can do what I want and I’m just not hearing it in the demos. I’m putting it back in the ‘maybe’ category and behind other things I’d like to get beforehand.

4 Likes

I ordered a MercuryX. But I expect to have to do a lot of leg-work at the beginning. One of the common complaints I heard about the LVX was that, while it is definitely capable of doing very good “normal” delays, its factory presets were… lots of kitchen sink examples.

And I think that’s maybe not the best approach. Like some of that, yes. But make sure you toss in subtle, everyday use case presets.

I like to experiment, but I expect I’ll spend a fair bit of time either building my own patches (not because I want to push the envelope but because I want to pull back from it) or dialing back the settings for existing patches. Once I have a stable of general use patches, then I might get into one that sequences the speed of a tremolo while a filter in the feedback loop gets the sample and hold treatment.

1 Like

I didn’t like the Poly Beebo as it was too much Modular-like options. Now, calling this a Modular Reverb scares me but I’m curious about this Mercury X. Did I say that I really like Reverbs?!

2 Likes

these kind of tools/fx/even instruments are wonderful ways to make valuable use of down time, deep diving without any pressure, preparing presets for use later

2 Likes

fwiw I have the LVX for a couple of weeks now and it is really easy to dial in basic delays. The programming interface is quite fast and it gives you options to how you’d like these “basic delays” to distort, feedback, and modulate.

1 Like

Did you ever figure out what the MOD knob does? I have the Mercury X and it seems to do nothing, even though it’s suppose to modulate the pre-delay lines…

hi! new to the party here, everyone happy with their lvx and mercuryx?
I’m starting to GAS

Are there still issues?
what about the power issue/compatibility with strymon zuma/ojaj power supplies?