Memory issue: no sound after recording long sample?

dealing with a (hopefully) easy to solve issue: I recorded a long sample with adjusted memory settings (maximum amount of time for rec-buffer 1 with dynamic buffers). after that I saved the sample to have it available to load into a static/flex list – fine. I can listen to the sample while being in list mode and scrolling through the samples (func+yes) but as soon as I load it to a track (tested flex and static) there is no sound audible. I created a new project to work on so there isn’t much what could be wrong (scenes or sth similar).

I can’t play it with track+play and a trig is also resulting in no sound. the icon for track 1 is still showing a square instead of play.

I changed memory settings back to original state with reduced recording time for buffer 1 + 2 so that RAM shouldn’t be an issue? any ideas? thanks!

1 Like

well… a restart made it work now. is that normal or how to handle it next time?
thanks

Clear buffer in Recorder Setup 1
Fn + Rec, Fn + play.

2 Likes

that’s might be it!
thanks a lot

:rocket:

2 Likes

@nui, as sezare56 pointed out, what probably happened is you used all the ram in the recorder buffer so when you saved it as something else and tried to load it, it would be taking up ram x2. When the OT was power cycled the buffer was cleared so the saved version could then load…
In case you didn’t know, you can also use the “recording#” to access the sample in a track without saving it, or there is also an “assign to self” function when you save it that would save the sample, and load it to the recorder buffer slot, thereby using the same amount of ram… We were just discussing uses of this in another thread but this didn’t come up…

2 Likes

thank you both for the super quick answers and solving the problem.

yes you are right, it makes totally sense that it takes the RAM x 2 as it was assigned to buffer as well as to track 1 in static machine. after recording I trimmed the sample and hit »save selection as sample«. Usually I don’t »save to self« from buffer as it overwrites the recording# and I’d like to have it sorted as it is.

if there is sth else I should consider please let me know or send me a link to the thread you mentioned. thanks a lot!

2 Likes

The thread I mentioned didn’t get too far and then we sidetracked, but here it is anyway:

The more I think about it, if you were going to use assign to self in this case you might as well just use the recording# and just save the sample for later without assigning it, as it’s probably cleared after power cycle, unless it’s not…
I don’t know, haha… I’d just do whatever works for you and have fun!

Edit: Assign to self saves the sample and will load it back to the recorder after power cycles…

1 Like

well, I just ran into the very same problem as discussed almost two years ago in this thread. even after trying to clear the buffer with fn + play (-> clear) like mentioned by @sezare56 there is a strange issue going on.

what I did: adjusted memory settings so that I can record a longer sample. in project menu - > memory I changed flex format to 24 bit, dynamic recorders to yes, recorder format to 24bit, reserve recordings to R1-R2 and reserve length to 60s. (screenshot is showing 15s as I took it later while trying to fix the problem)

after sampling the sound that I was going for I trimmed the sample, saved as a copy and assigned it to a flex track. I cleared the buffer like stated above with fn + play for R1.

but now I can’t preview my samples loaded into the sample slots and for some of them the name isn’t displayed anymore but the text out of memory. when checking the settings in menu - > memory, the bar to the right is fully loaded. when trying to load a sample, in the bottom line, it says FREE: 0.94MB and a sad smiley.

but what went wrong? I just sampled a track, saved it and want to go on – what did I miss?

edit: further explorations: after deleting some samples from the slot list, the amount of available RAM increased to 71.2MB, that’s fine as some samples are working again. but there is still an issue with samples within the static slot list, as I can’t preview them and banks with this sample loaded won’t playback. I have to enter the slot list, reassign the same sample and after that it’s working. I don’t want to just restart the machine, as I’m trying to understand what went wrong.

I didn’t read everything. Quick guess : after memory settings changes, you may not hear sound.
Try reload, Project change, or power cycle.

1 Like

so is it recommended to reload the project after changing the memory settings? I tried your approach and all is working fine now… thanks!

I’m wondering how to handle memory settings to avoid problems like this. do you have specific projects prepared for longer samples, put the sample into the pool and change into another project?

Apparently if it’s for Statics only.
You can reload the Static sample to hear it.
Seems to work if you go in Card Tools > File Manager and leave it. It reloads the project even if you didn’t save.
I usually use Flex, and set memory settings without problems.

It’s a bug that crept in a few OS’s ago, didn’t used to behave this way. If you simply want to make longer samples just leave dynamic recorders on, it won’t interfere on a project making shorter samples. I’ll also say in case you aren’t aware the reserved recorders and length are there to make sure you can always sample the set amount of time with the selected number of tracks, the counter affect of this as that it decreases your available flex ram the same amount. If you have dynamic recorders on you don’t need any reserved recorders/lengths but you still can if you want to make sure you don’t load too many flex samples and can always record up to your selected length to your selected number of recorders…

4 Likes