Melancholic Chords on M:C

Hey everyone,

while I found out so many new and nice things with my cycles, I’m currently trying to create some melancholic chords without much of success.

What should I focus on? Getting a better knowledge of notes and chords in general or won’t bring me that further with the cycles? I played around with the shape already on a chord track but besides major and minor (guitar lessons taught me :smiley:), I don’t really know the difference between all of them.

Thanks guys,

Had to be done (sorry):

6 Likes

Uff, just trying to figure out chords, not how to make the saddest :smiley:

1 Like

I highly recommend Jason Allen’s course Music Theory for Electronic Musicians:

2 Likes

Ha. On a more serious note (pun not intended), it’s something you’re going to have to discover for yourself. Major, minor, sus2, sevenths, they can all sound melancholic in the right context. It’s all about what chord came before and what comes next. The push and pull of emotion, so to speak. All minors will sound kind of sad, but then again, a moment of hope (major) can make the other minor chords even more melancholic. So here’s my tip. Find a popular song you really like for its melancholic properties, find the chords on the internet and try to program them into your M:C. You’ll learn faster by replicating your favourite tunes and be able to apply similar chord changes to your own music :wink:

10 Likes

Thanks! That sounds like a start and already brought a lot of clarification.
I’m now out to explore my M:C for a while :+1:

1 Like

Will check it out, thanks bud!

1 Like

One recommendation I’d chuck out is the ‘Pianote’ youtube channel. As the name suggests, it’s full of tutorials for playing the piano however there are lost of videos which cover different types of chords, inversions or other bits’n’bobs of theory. But they also talk about the chord progressions in terms of feeling as well as the proper naming conventions… and the way it’s filmed and the graphical overlays of what notes are being played means that it’s really good for taking their ideas and then experimenting with them.

2 Likes

Thanks man, gonna check that out as well.

1 Like