MegaCommand // MCL 4.51

No room left on the PCB for more input connections. So opted for a simpler a design with just the USB power.

3 Likes

I’m tapped at the moment :frowning:

Do you have a few? Might you built more in the future? I’d really like to give one of these a go.

Looks really nice!

You should consider deploying some ransomware. Or sell a kidney. You do need one of these in your life.

1 Like

I’m gonna post some gear today. I need to recoup and lighten the load. Perhaps, if I sell enough I may be able to use some recouped cash for one. I may not be able to still tho :frowning:

Been having a hard time committing. I had it all set to post a couple days ago and deleted the post.

They’re cheaper than I thought. I think mine came to 265US w/ shipping?
Not that much more than buying parts individually.

I was under the impression I would be able to send pitched MIDI to each channel, but I’m having trouble setting up. How can I send multitrack midi from an external sequencer to the MCL and have each machine play like a mono synth voice?

We don’t currently support multitimbral.

In general, to enable external MIDI control of the active MD track you need to set

Config -> Machinedrum -> CTRL Chan
To a MIDI channel of your choice, or OMNI for all channels.

You can also play a group of tracks as a polyphonic synthesiser by enabling the voices in the Poly Config menu.

1 Like

Somewhere between 20-30 more left in this run.

4 Likes

Let me turn this into a feature request then: Can we get a mode or setting that allows each MD channel to receive their own midi channel input? Much like the Nord 3p.

1 Like

Argh. I’m still waiting for my MD to arrive but already see more $$ imminent haha. This looks so cool and built in Australia too! A bit too hard to resist.

Do you think as an MD novice but with experience of almost all other Elektrons, I should get used to the original OS first or just dive straight into X.05 & MCL madness?

You’d want to get comfortable with MD first before diving in to MCL.

X.05 would be okay to start with.

4 Likes

Excellent, thank you. That’s the response my wallet wanted to hear. :slight_smile:

Hi there
Maybe not the wright thread, but i’ll ask anyway… .
Since i own a cirklon (for those who are familiar) is there any reason to get a megacommand? Of course it’s nice to edit everything on the md ui itself, but using cirklon for sequencing i can have individual tracklenghs, auxes, prg chance…
So what do you think is there any benefit incooperating the megacommand?
Thanks

I have both. I tend to not use the Cirklon for my Elektron units other than clock, but I do sort of use the Cirklon to make everything else a little more like the Elektron machines… that being said, the way MCL integrates makes it really awesome to modernize it but still be able to live record the parameter locks etc using the MD’s interface. Still haven’t tried to send it program/pattern changes from the Cirklon so I should probably do that before fully recommending it depending on your workflow.

Maybe not necessary for you, but I’ve gotten way more that I like out of the MD since getting the MCL.

2 Likes

No.

1 Like

I got both in the last two months though, so I still have a lot to learn on the Cirklon. The MCL has been a bit easier to integrate and makes the MD a bit more like the DT or DN or something. So your Cirklon comfort level may be significantly higher than mine…

1 Like

Oh thanks, thats a reassuring reply. If you aren’t allready, check out splitradix’s videos on cirklon… they’re really helpful. But like 8h of videomaterial, but i rewatch it from time to time. It’s nice that you can jump right to the topic your intressed in. But feel free to write me if your intressed in cirklon, could share some of my favourites… and so could you. Anyway, thanks for the reply

1 Like

Hey,
Are we ok to talk about builds here or is there a build thread? Making a MC from a PCB i got off Marcus Bang the other year.
Putting together the board seems easy enough, tho i always find github intimidating.
I just wanna check that my check is right? Ive built loads of synth/pedal stuff but never done an arduino
So, ive done the first 3 steps of the build then installed the Arduino IDE program,
gone to tools and set the board to 2560. I downloaded the test files from the github. Plugged it in. Opened the test SRAM file.
Pressed varify.
Pressed upload. It asked my to set the COM3 to the name of the board.
Pressed serial monitor on the top right (the spy glass)
The the prompt thingy after a moment says;
“Congratulations. SRAM Test: Passed”

I know this all seems like a stupid question, as it says its right. But is this the correct process? I assume its the same for the next test stages too, yes?

Thanks for this project, seems like the bomb :slight_smile:

Sounds good so far. We also have discord if you need help in realtime.

3 Likes

Cheers
I should be fine but can you send me a link to the discord (or however it works never used it before, I’ve installed it on my phone)

(Edit what size SD card is advisable I heard somewhere soon it’ll need to be 8gb at least)