MegaCommand // MCL 4.51

Thank you.

Please do! :slight_smile:

First, thank you so much for all of the work that has gone into this. I updated to MCL 4.0 this weekend and it’s amazing how far this project has come.

Would it be possible to load tracks from the grid with an external grid controller connected via the second MIDI input? I know the intent is to control more of the MCL functionality directly from the MD, but I’d love to build a custom template for the launchpad pro to load tracks, control the mixer, and mute channels.

From searching the previous thread, I know cc values can be forwarded from the second MIDI device to the MD, but can the MCL itself be controlled by CCs or SYSEX?

Thanks again for everything you’ve done to bring the MD into 2021 and beyond!

2 Likes

Not possible as of right now.

External control is on the list to make MCL more complete.

We’ll need some input from users of best way to implement this.

3 Likes

I’d love to help any way I can!

Hi. For windows, do we just upload “Xloader” or perhaps one of the other files like “avrdude”? Trying to nail it the first time

Oh, I see. That’s for the megacommand, I think. I’ll update the MD first, But the question still remains when I get around to updating the megacommand. Which file ought to be sent?

mcl_4_0_0.hex is for the MegaCommand.

Damn, is anyone having trouble updating. . My TM-1 might be broke. Is there another way to update? Anyone in Chicago, Illinois, US with an MD updated to x.05 or planning to soon? I’m a mess. Was able to update X.04 with no problem just a few months ago. TM-1 sat untampered under a cover since. Now only the “out” light on the TM-1 glows when I send the system file for X.05 and the MD still waits to receive something. I’ve checked the cord configuration and switched it. Made the mistake of spraying electronic-contact cleaner stuff into the midi pots of the TM-1. Brilliant. (Spray the cords, spray the cords) Now i can’t turn on the turbo. What a mess. This doesn’t make sense. Anybody have an idea what I ought to do next. I switched the midi cords and swapped out the usb but that did not help.

Look for Marcus Bang here, he built mine, works great.

If you’re sending the .syx file from a computer then you’ll need some kind of MIDI interface but doesn’t have to be TM-1. I used a Focusrite Scarlett.

The MD display just showing the same thing all through the process is normal, but you should see the track LEDs keeping track of the progress.

1 Like

Are you sure both MIDI receive and MIDI send are on?

1 Like

PMed !

Ok thanks. Good to know that another device is suitable. I wasn’t aware. I don’t think elektron makes the tm-1 anymore. They ought to, I suppose.

And no, the lights on my MD don’t do anything. I ordered a used tm-1 via reverb for a decent price. Hope it works out or I’ll try the focusrite

Hey Justin, can’t appreciate ya enough. The below snapshot reveals the 6 options given for windows

Are any of these for the megacommand update? I haven’t updated my unit yet. It’s quite new.

No. I ought to check though, even though I haven’t touched anything since the most recent MCL update a few months back. Thank you. I thought of that but shrugged it off. Worth a try though I’d say.

I would be very interested in buying a pre-built MC and having it shipped to brazil. Parts are not as easy to find over here and I’m also not too comfortable with DIY electronic stuff.

Would anyone be interested in negotiating this with me? Thanks a lot!

Can MCL do polyphonic sequencing of external gear in addition to the MD?

According to the documentation:

• There are 6 x Ext MIDI Sequencer Tracks.
• Each External MIDI track can be used to sequence an attached MIDI device on port 2.
This could be an Elektron Analog 4, Elektron Monomachine or a generic MIDI device
such as a synth module.
• Features of the new Ext MIDI Sequencer:
– 6 x Tracks
– 128 steps per track
– 512 events per track.
– A maximum of 16 events per step, (i.e 16 note polyphony)
– Each event could be an automation parameter or note on/off message.
– Microtiming per event
– Conditional trig per event
– Velocity per step
– Each track includes 8 MIDI Control Channel automation parameters with optional
slide (linear interpolation).
– ProgramChange as CC destination.
– Arpeggiator.

2 Likes

XLoader is the program used to upload firmware to the MegaCommand.

1 Like