MegaCommand // MCL 4.51

Hey guys,

just checking; i tried to recycle two sd readers but somehow i ended up with a black screen on both. Now, i know the screens are good since i have tested them on other units. The ardunios are OK. I tested all the header and there are no problems in connections between the ard.headers that handles connection with screen, and the 4050 which seems to be involved.
I´m thinking - can the recycled SD readers be the culprits?
Or anything elase you cn think of that´s worth testing?

Cheers!
Marcus

I have ordered the MC. Probably I need to try it myself and find my ways of using it.

I have a slightly unusual MD MkII which was later upgraded (by Elektron) to have the +Drive but is not a ‘UW’ model. Guess it should have the designation ‘SPS-1+ MkII’.

Should I expect any issues moving to the MDX firmware and will a MegaCommand work without a problem?

One thing I’m not clear about from the MDX manual - do non-UW MDs gain sampling RAM machines or is this hardware limited to UW models only?

Last query - any MegaCommand builders in the UK?

Cheers

I would’t expect any issues moving to the MDX firmware. The +Drive is only a storage expansion and given that MDX works for any iteration of MD, be it with or without a +Drive or UW, I would expect it to run smoothly. The same would, in my opinion apply to the MegaCommand, there shouldn’t be any resistrictions, there are MKI as well as MKII users for the MC.

Regarding the second question, MDX - nor the MC - does not give your MD RAM-machines, as this is limited by hardware, only UW models can work with UserWaves as far as I am concerned.

I do not know about any MC builders in the UK, maybe @mbang has some units (he used to built some but is within scandinavia afaik), or check your local ebay/gumtree or whatever service you might prefer.

EDIT: And of course there is https://megacmd.com/ where you can grab a unit straight from the dev :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey i am trying to make a m4l device work. it should control the pitch via midi cc. its not working so far. do i need the same update as for the mcl? i got the x 05 installed right now

did you make your own or this one ? https://www.elektronauts.com/t/switchboxs-md-max4live-controller/ maybe better to take questions there if so as sounds specific to your setup.

Not really my own but not the switchbox. got the code from a user here who isnt a max 4 live pro too. i think hes french cause he sended me a french link to a forum where they discussed that stuff. my french isnt good enuff for that sadly. In the link is the code which i used. besoin d'aide pour un patch max for live (débutant) - forum Cycling'74 Max For Live (3/7) - Audiofanzine

MCL 4.20 Released: :rocket:

Download

Changelog

• Class compliant USB MIDI.
  • Flexible MIDI routing.
  • Improved slot loading reliability and timing.
  • Better stability.
  • MNM integration now working.
  • User manual has been updated (thanks XC3N and 303)

As a thank-you to MegaCMD owners , you get access to a USB Disk mode for file transfer with host PC. This is not available on the DIY version due hardware limitations.

You’ll need to update the USB Microcontroller firmware via the included DFU tool.

Use the discord for troubleshooting please.

16 Likes

Woohoo, now ima have to hunt down a monomachine :joy:

1 Like

What‘s the plan for the MNM?
Just y-grid functionalities? Or similar x-grid features like on the MD?

Hi and congratulations for your work : I am almost selling my Pyramid sequencer!

I successfully installed the last firmware/software on my MegaCMD (4.20) and MD (X.07) but I have some questions/problems :

• when I boot the MegaCMD in USB DISK mode nothing appears on my Mac even if the MegaCMD shows “USB DISK” (yes : it is a MegaCMD and not a DIY)
  • I am sometimes using other time signatures than 4/4 (I hope I won’t be kicked out…) so I tried to configure the slots of a new project selecting all the slots and changing the LEN parameter with the SLOT MENU OPTIONS : it doesn’t change anything, as well with empty slots or filled ones.
  • Also when working with other time signatures than 4/4, it would be nice to have the possibility to adapt the the LEN parameter in the RAM page to other number than multiples of 4
  • when working on grid Y the STEP EDIT and the CHROMATIC pages are still available but they show “MD” and not “MI” : is there a way to use them with the external midi tracks?
  • is there a way to have the piano roll following the active page?
  • TRIG CONDITIONS : for Ln the step is triggered AFTER every n iterations of track, it would be nice to have it playing EVERY n iterations (like on the Electron A4), including the first one.
  • How do you backup your (valuable) sequences/project created on the MegaCMD?
1 Like

Yes!! I’ve been wanting USB file transfer. Gonna be using the sampling on my UW a lot more fno.

Can it be used to backup/restore snapshots, or kits?

Just read the changelog and lots of good updates here. Fantastic work!

1 Like

Hi Merkur,

The USB MIDI / USB DISK upgrade is a two step process, requiring you to update both the MCL firmware, and the USB Microcontroller. Please read the instructions carefully here for upgrading the USB Microcontroller:
megacmd_usb_dfu_1.0.4.zip

Jump on the discord if you need help. Also we can discuss your other questions.

1 Like

You can transfer MCL projects from the SD card to the PC and vice/versa.

2 Likes

hmmm…NGNY needs to come to an end so I can complete my MD with the MCL.

4 months to go. [and ill have to sell something to afford it]

1 Like

Hi all.

My MCL isn’t turning on. Was fine a couple of weeks ago. I’ve unplugged everything, tried a known good usb that’s powering a faderfox. Any suggestions on what I can attempt to resurrect it?

MegaCMD or MegaCommand? You can try to reflash the latest OS.

2 Likes

Thanks Justin - sorry for the terminology mixup. It’ll be the MegaCMD (I got it through you!). I’ll try to flash it.

Just a question; does anyone running 4.20 (or earlier) have problems witrh their MCL running at double speed when connected to a DAW (i use bitwig, for example) in midi 2 IN (i.e. clock-synced from DAW)?
This persists even after i shut off the midi clock sync from the daw - no difference.
Anyone?
I have found a fix that i think work, but it resolves all but the viisual wrong tempo on the MCL i think, in the DAW and in MD the tempo is correct.

Anyone experienced this?