MDUW trouble: "DSP error" / sticky data

Got a broken Machinedrum MK1 UW in my hands.
Story: I sent my MDUW to UK via DHL. When it arrived, it wouldnt boot, the guy opened it up, reseated all cables…and it worked. For a day or two. Then it stopped working again.
We declared it broken and DHL took care of the insurance.
Today, I got the device back, and yeah, sure enough, broken it seems to be. It hangs up on logo screen.
I can access the boot menu when booting while holding Function, but test number 1 gives me this: DSP error, sticky data.

Opened it all up and even looked at all the chips; nothing looks fried or something. Tried cleaning and reseating all the connectors, too. Still the same. I cant help thinking it’s the PSU or battery, maybe…?

If anyone has anything useful to add, please do.

Well, opened up once more, cleaning every connector it has once more as thoroughly as I can. Also switched the places of some of the cables inside as they’re all similar.
As I moved to another room, I also sort of dropped the PSU on the floor. Not from mad heights, but anyways.
Now it won’t even boot anymore.
I’m guessing the PSU just finally died.
Fuck it. At least I have one more that’s working.
Time for a cold beer and newly bought Octatrack’s manual!
May look for a new PSU online if I can find one…

Oh shit this just happened to mine - is that the end? Firmware update? Wha happen?

Create a support ticket with Elektron in case they can help.

Just switched on my MD to holding screen as above

Test mode says DSP1 ERROR

None of the resets work

STICKY DATA is my new band name btw….

Will try firmware update….

2 Likes

Seems that it’s an issue with the chip called IS61LV6426

HOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLLL

My md is broken

IMG_7060

1 Like

Im not sure what that exact error code is but i wouldnt give up on it until you have reflowed old solder with new solder. These older MD, MNM are notorious for old solder problems.

2 Likes

the most savage thing i’ve read on this forum since i last went in the analog rytm feature request thread. brutal and i’m sorry.

those mem chips are out there. but finding something cheap and broken that used one or finding someone willing to sell you one is the trick.

1 Like

:frowning:
best bet is a used unit in poor shape that still functions.

You’d have better luck playing the lottery and winning money to buy a MKii than getting parts for MK1 units from elektron. They stopped supporting them long ago.

1 Like

I will give this a go!! Thank you there’s hope!

Start with the ribbon cables that go between the ui and cpu boards. Wouldnt hurt to reflow the power one too.

1 Like

Tomorrow it’s going to a local electronics repair so fingers crossed - I have a very bad track record of soldering things myself, the last thing I want is to destroy the board with heavy handed dolloped melted metal

1 Like

If you dont mind, report back with any findings ur technician finds. Always curious about these repair threads :partying_face:

1 Like

Dropped off md to random elderly electronics repair man - will collect in a few hours….fingers crossed

2 Likes

let us know how you get on.

hope it goes well

1 Like

Madness!! It’s now working again
The guy said he hated it and spent an hour swearing at it soldering this and that
She said he doesn’t t know what he did that worked but it works so….

7 Likes

haha amazing :partying_face:

I’m thrilled!
Now to make a machinedrum only album…

1 Like

Hell yeah, love to see it :metal:t4::partying_face:
I think i read some where on this forum that the solder they used for the MD, some 20 years ago, has a tendency to micro fracture over time. If you have to continuously reseat the ribbon cables in these machines, it’s time to reflow the solder. Welcome back.

1 Like

this guy may have found a new career as an MD restorative sweary magician.

3 Likes