MDUW + Jomox beatmaking

I miss my conditional trigs but damn if this isn’t a classic combo.

10 Likes

Random thoughts I’ve posted before regarding Elektron & JoMox

XBase999 owner. The sound is awesome. Parts of the interface are good, parts not so good. If you have a Machinedrum (or Octatrack or MonoMachine etc) then they play real nice with the 999.

With the Machinedrum use tracks 1 to 8 for internal synthesis and tracks 9 to 16 use Midi Machines.

Then you can use the parameter locks to leverage the best bits of the Machinedrum, whilst leveraging the best bits of the 999, i.e. the sound.

Been my experience with JoMox gear. Awesome sound… but sometimes the OS leaves a little bit to be desired.

I’ve only really got experience of the 999; though you can load the 888 OS on it if you want; gain some stuff but lose the XFilter.

What I used to do was as described above; Machinedrum use T1-T8 internal; T9-T16 Midi for the 999. Spend a bit of time and energy getting it all set up; e.g.

T09 - C1 = Jomox Kick | - CC#100 Kick Tune
T10 E1 = Jomox Snare | - CC#108 Snare Tune

Then you have the best of both worlds / amazing combination. JoMox sound driven by Elektron sequencer \o/
I’d imagine would be kind of similar with the Alphabase as well.

Re: MD over OT:

• Drum machine sequencing a drum machine makes more sense to me.
  • Left/Top 8 Tracks = Machinedrum and Right/Bottom eight tracks are JoMox. Easy peasy.
  • You are mainly going to be using Kits compared to parts.
  • Centralised mutes / commands / control of two drum machines from a single hub
  • Ctrl-ALL & Ctrl-MID on the MD vs no midi scenes on OT
  • Can quickly copy stuff around.
  • Owned a MD before I owned an OT
1 Like

I love the idea of the xbase, but every experience I’ve had with Jomox UI makes me think it wouldn’t be a smooth experience.
That said, I used to write a bunch of stuff with a MnM driving an Airbase99 and that was pretty awesome actually.

I like this thread. Gives me power to keep a Tanzbar and sequence it with Digitakt. Carry on, nice and powerful stuff btw.

Every MD video convinces me more and more I’m the only one who doesn’t use the jog wheel for changing instruments…or really anything (besides setting the tempo)

You’re not alone. Together we stand. There are more like us out there.

1 Like

Rather be using MDedit on an iPad to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I keep trying to train my muscle memory to FCN+Track but the jog wheel has too much gravity :slight_smile: