MD UW = expensive used!

I’m really surprised at how few MD UW are for sale and the ones that are are pretty damn expensive.

Is that typical? I figured there’d be tons of people selling it and moving on to AR or something.

I don’t mean to make a sweeping generalisation but I think people are quicker to let go of things when they know it’s readily available. Taking the MnM and MD off the shelves probably puts heaps of doubt in folks minds these days!

I bought/sold a MnM pre production end for c£600. Good luck finding one for under £800!

They are great machines though. Both classics really.

4 Likes

Prices have Kinda been up and down after the digitak was announced.

Keep your eye open, there’s always cheap ones out there.

The high priced ones just sit there on eBay forever: like currently on evilbay some guy in Asia is selling an mk2 no sampling and no plus drive for $925us.

Once the digitak is out and the next few digital boxes hit, across 2017, the mduw will take a real drive in price, simply because it’s not up to spec and the sound is very polarising…

i find more value in 16 tracks of drums than a usb interface and trig conditions. but that’s just me :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t call it “not up to spec”. Digitakt’s sample capabilities compared to the OT, now that’s not up to spec

4 Likes

Yeh I get this: I was talking from a resale point of view of the marketplace and consumers. It’s is seen by most buyers as not up to spec with the hd and ram and not worth $1000-$1500.
When the price goes down, I’ll probally pick one up again, simply because of that flexibility you mentioned :16 tracks.

1 Like

-16 tracks
-Resampling
-Effects designed for percussion
-6 0utputs Midi Thru
-Processing Ext Audio
-Silver Digital Character :elmd: Sound

2 Likes

Exactement!

1 Like

Those that did (like i did back in 2014) regret it shortly after :wink: MD UW is so expensive because its a fucking insane Drummachine - the best EVER !!! :slight_smile: Its the god of sound design, it has a very organic character, it has soul - and it has up to 16 MIDI Tracks if you want :wink: Its sequencer may not be top of the line but apart from that the MD beats the Rytm in every aspect - when it comes to sound design! And thats why its expensive.

3 Likes

I paid $1700 new for my MDUW in 2012 (they dropped $200 off the price two months later, too…). I might consider selling mine when they get back to that price used…until then, it’s too valuable to me to sell. Love that little silver beastie. :elmd: is :heat: :ecstatic:

3 Likes

Snagged a UW mk2 + drive + tm for 600 usd couple years ago :slight_smile::smiling_imp:

4 Likes

what a deal. i searched far and wide a non-uw version that was in near perfect condition and found one for less than the marked down retail price locally.

i would trade up for a uw version if i had the choice though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never selling mine :slight_smile:
In 20 years it will cost the same as an 808 does today… :cold_sweat:

1 Like

I foolishly ordered my MDUW mk2+ directly from Elektron in 2011 (shipped to US) and spent about $1800 in the end. That’s the most I’ve ever spent on anything other than automobiles and college tuition. So very worth it though. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Heh, likewise the most expensive “toy” I bought (besides eurorack ). Worth it tho.

1 Like

Bought my mduw used for $1000 Canadian before they were discontinued. The intent is to keep it for 15 - 20 years.

1 Like

i hope this wont happen! i still need to buy one again :smiley:

3 Likes

Haha i wouldnt worry too much though. And who knows it could go the other way as well. Either way you’ll probably have quite some time to get one for a decent price!

Yeah, just like the 909. The price really dropped on that thing once new, more powerful boxes with sampling capabilities came out.

The MD & MDUW are unique boxes, but there’s a lot of them out there So, unless units start to fail (unlikely given Eleltron’s high quality standards), it becomes a modern classic and everybody just has to have one, or there is a reissue or a specifically planned successor, I’d expect to see prices stabilize at just under $1k, and then rise incrementally over years.

That, or Trump will bomb North Korea, trigger WWIII, and I’ll be playing mine in a radioactive desert off of old car batteries until the sun sets on the tattered remnants of humanity.

Honestly, that’s probably the most likely scenario.

5 Likes