MD - poor quality of internal sampling?

This doesn’t follow logically IMO, when resampling the machine is still working with audio and has to render an audio file, in all its 12-bit grunginess. Unless you meant something different?

I feel like when sampling with the machinedrum the recording is missing some of the highs of the original sound, like it’s lowpassed… the sample memory is at 0% tho…

anyone able to relate? Is there something i miss?

Don’t remember this was the case when i sampled somee time ago with it, but could be wrong about that…

It’s getting converted to 12 bits, not sure what samplerate but it’s running through an antialiasing filter which will remove some high end. It shouldn’t be looked at as a transparent hifi sampler, it’s crunchy and characterful

1 Like

As described earlier in this topic, and according to the MD manual, page A-15:

Some DSP memory is always reserved for the RAM machines. The memory is shared with the ROM machines so the more memory left for the RAM machines, the higher will the quality of the recording be.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t seem to understand… I’m aware of this, but since I’m not using ROM machines, the memory capacity of the RAM machines should be 100%, right? And therefore the quality of sampling at highest quality (?).

MDUW is not a hifi sampler. Do not expect pristine results. Embrace its grittiness!

And do not forget how old the device is. Even when just released its sampling sound quality was lower than dedicated samplers at the time, but it had the awesome RAM playback capability.

1 Like

you’re absloutely right!

i want to clarify that i was speaking about highest quality possible for machinedrum, not in general :slight_smile:

thank you!