MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

I replaced some broken ones exactly like your pic. Contacted Roland AUS and got the pots for $4 each, was really easy to desolder and resolder…

I’m also trying to figure out why I would need it when I have an Octatrack.

It’s a different thing. Seem more like an immediate fun groovebox but it doesn’t strike me as something to write home about. Not for the price of an Octatrack, OP-1 or OP-Z anyway.

2 Likes

While I use my Octatrack for many things, it has two core areas where I wouldn’t replace it unless whatever came after, did this equally good and with other traits to boost -

First, there’s live recording and playback. The OT handles longer sections just great and the live manipulation of those, is still hard to beat. Toraiz is all right now when it plays back 64 seconds of audio - enough for me - but otherwise, I’ve seen no other kit perform these kind of duties as well.

Then, there’s just storage. You can keep hours of material on the OT and just bring it on stage or into the studio. Project switching to reach the same results is okay (like the Deluge), but then it needs to be instant - which the 707 is not, in this regard.

Don’t think I’ll go for this. OT stays.

2 Likes

The MC101 looks the more compelling offering to me - as a compact battery sketchpad in OP-1 4 track noodler territory; $100 less and it would make a lot of sense. OP-Z excels if being compact is your goal - probably the only true pocket ‘DAW’ with a very fluid sequencer once you get the hang of it.

Up a significant level price-wise the MC707 seems a sort of decent synth/samply/drummachine hybrid - a souped up circuit/electribe - but at the premium price it is outclassed by many better, dedicated machines, e.g. the OT in the sampling department; or the Deluge as a multi-tasker.

1 Like

Pity they couldn’t put that nicer screen on the MC-101 though.

1 Like

Not sure about the 707.
Drums seem to be samples only, was hoping for the ACB thing.
The synth engine looks quite deep but not so fun to work with, since the display and only 4 encoders are only a small part on the side of the unit. Maybe it’s ok for some preset adjustments, don’t know.
Didn’t see a lot about sample editing possibilities. Timestretch, Pitching, Reversing… what else?

But looks quite powerful as a whole.
The 101 could be fun, but looks a bit expensive.

Cool things:
Pads
Different playback directions of the sequencer
Chord Mode
Time stretching and effects are probably better compared to the OT

3 Likes

Definitely, that screen with all the parameter detail on the 707 looks great

2 Likes

The 101 does look strong in the ‘you can only bring ONE music box’ competition before a few weeks trip on the road.

Put it on a table beside all its peers, and is it THE ONE?

QY100 still often beats some of my newer gear in that context!

Yeah that screen has some real cheapo DIYsynth vibes

1 Like

That tiny screen with the tiny UI is not gonna work for me. No way I will be able to use the MC707 without eye strain. I already struggle with the Elektron boxes, this looks much worse.

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard, the drums and internal synths don’t sound good enough to actually produce with. And the 707 is expensive for an ideas sketchpad. 101 is cute though, with a midi track and an audio input it would be a really powerful little tool.

Sounds pretty good to me? I feel like the same kind of criticism is leveled at anything vaguely toyish like the OP1 and Circuit and then people go on to make amazing stuff with it

4 Likes

Mc 505 was my first ever synth

But it never sounded “right”

I don’t think this will be any different

Roland is so “gimmicky” these last 30 years

3 Likes

I thought so too, Roland looks too toyish, is ugly and can do most things better

But bought an sp404 to work with my model samples
1000 things to complain about sp404
But i love this workflow, full time fun, unexpectedly happy with the sound
Nice fx
Ugly plastic, ugly buttons, ugly knobs, ugly colours, ugly everything
But fun! Amazed about what comes out,And i like what i make with it

The Loopop video is great, but I’m still wondering if you can sample into it and then use that sample for a tone track. So far it looks like you can only record into it using a looper track, but can you then grab that sample and use it as an OSC for a tone track?

1 Like

I agree if you talk about all in one grooveboxes . However they do get it right from time to time still… the TR8 for example … eventhough just a reproduction of classic drum sounds aswel , it’s insane on how many hit records its been used since its launch 5 years ago , and how many pro’s have it in their studio .

1 Like

Is it correct, that you can only automate (motion sequence) three assigned parameters per track (the three knobs)?

I’m curious about the sequencer in MC 707. I used to play on their MC 505 and 307 models for around 6 years. Amazing and intuitive equipment but sequencer is a huge drawback. If there is simple automation or 16th drum roll recorded you’ll hear noticeable glitch when switching patterns.

100%. I had an OP-1 and kept having to take my glasses on and off to see what was happening. These small screens are like tamagotchis

4 Likes

It all sounds quite soft and cheesy to me - nothing like the way the ACB boutiques sound. No doubt, people will do amazing stuff with it. Certainly not saying it’s junk. Just get the impression it’s missing a bit of mojo somewhere.

3 Likes