MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

Definitely a market for it.

Looks like page 53 of the reference manual.

The POS asks where you want the return to go. You can specify a track here.

2 Likes

Amen to that ! I hope it gets made, looks like a LOT of people agrees that they want this kind of machine (from the “What’s next for Elektron” thread), so if the price is right, it will sell like pancakes !

I have been eyeing the MC-101 for a while now. It really seems like a fun little box, and if it would have been a bit cheaper, I might have gone ahead and just buy it since I lack something that can play samples and can do so polyphonically.

However, and I know this sounds silly, but I haven’t seen a single video of this thing where the music coming out of it actually appealed to me. I know that you can make good music using almost anything, but there still is some sort of irrational, primal fear lurking deep inside me that this box isn’t capable of generating good music; it can only be used for generic techno and house music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

MX-1S! If it had the sound quality of the MC-707 and TR-8S I’m in. The original had great features but audio quality (converters, mixer, etc.) was so-so.

1 Like

Thanks, just went to a shop to try it out and confirm, and then walked out of said shop with with it under my arm. :call_me_hand:t4: New box day

4 Likes

Glad I was a part of making that happen :metal: :laughing:

2 Likes

i see. But what about the regular external input?

You can monitor the regular external input live without recording, but can’t route it to Reverb/Delay.

You can use the Scatter FX to apply a MFX on it.

You just have to set the Scatter position to EXT and then you’re set. You lose the scatter for anything else since there’s no way to have one routing per pad, but you can set the scatter to just apply one or two different MFX and not scatter. It also mean that if you use the looper you can record with the MFX applied.

This machine is so good. Exactly what I was looking for. Mothership :alien: image

9 Likes

The clip launcher and looper are so fluid. So easy to lay down hooks.

1 Like

What’s the word on p-locks/step automation? Is it possible to, for example, reverse a sample on a per step basis?

You can use the scatter for reverse fx

no plock per se, only up to 4 automation lanes per clip IIRC

have just started looking into the 707 and the 101 and I have to say I fully agree. everything I’ve heard coming out of these machines is overwhelmingly bland, the kind of techno and house you hear in bad youtube mixes with a girl’s butt in the thumbnail image.

even setting aside the stock sounds, the overall sonic quality of both machines just feels so lifeless to me. totally at odds with my attraction to their specs.

4 Likes

This guy made some interesting lofi beats just resampling sounds and turning them into tones. I think the drum sounds are his own though.

4 Likes

Honestly I get it ! I have the same fear over most elektron gear demos, the big boxes while being praised by most don’t have a lot of great demos featured on youtube. The octatrack is especially plagued by this, on most demos you can see how you can mangle sound beyond recognition but actual music seems to be an afterthought. If not for the Knobs video I would never have considered it in the first place.

As a 707 owner I can’t answer fully for the 101 workflow, but sound-quality-wise, I do find the synths quite bland (the rest is sample, so you get what you put in). The onboard FX can help a lot with sound shaping though and are a great help (lo-fi compressor being my favourite, but there’s the FX from the SP-404 too).

As a bonus here’s a video of Dibiase getting some smooth hip-hop beats with the 101:

Exactly, guys like dibia$e or Baseck will make everything sound dope.

And that is because they are serious with their shit. They put the time in and actually learn their hardware inside out.

Most demos or amateur videos on youtube sound like shit because people are careless and want to get a quick video out.

Lets all work on our craft and then put out videos, it will all be banging :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you have a 707 or 101?
I would like to know how much time you sat in front of those boxes so I can estimate your opinion.

1 Like

@hommes_doutant The problem with a lot of these youtube channels are that many are just “influencers” (they are “indirectly” paid/get benefits) just trying to expose and sell new products!

Don’t believe anything, especially when they say they are not being paid or asked to promote the product. It’s often just an outright lie, since there are so many loopholes where they still get benefits indirectly.

There are at least a few very good youtube channels, with “real” musicians who use these instruments daily and produce really good videos and show what these instruments are truly capable of.
Ironically, the best channels are often ones that have very low subscriber count.

2 Likes

I don’t really see your point ? Influencers or not, if they make good videos, I don’t really care if they make money out of it. Like anything that takes time, it’s work and if they earn something (as they should), good for them.

Most of the time I go see these videos to look for something to buy, so if they’re trying to sell something to me, I’m in the target demographic so I don’t see the problem.