MC 707 / 101 : Roland Grooveboxes

Hi,
what solution ?

it’s somewhere in my bookmarks at home, will post when i’ll be there and find it

I’m still feeling this box. The fact that you can build clips while other clips are playing is great. AND, the mutes are saved per clip. That’s a big deal for me. You can make beats pretty quickly like this…

The distortions and saturations are also really good.

Sync up a quality sampler/sample player like the DT and you’re good!

Good times

3 Likes

Yeah, the lack of basic sample slicing is a real missed opportunity IMO.
It’s still an enjoyable unit, but there’s a definite lack of love for external audio inputs (the good things about it really seems more accidental than anything else).

So far, main fun for me on the 101 is funking around on the 4 tracks or even just a drum track, and then using some of the DJ and other FX, with resampling.
There is huge if not fiddly but tolerable scope for the smaller 101 box as an amazing loop/riff creator with a weird amount of depth to it given its humble appearance. The lack of true synth level editing is immaterial given the fx and resampling.
As is often said of some machines, I can see the 101 as a bit of a unique cult item in the future once it has been around the houses a bit.

3 Likes

Quick little jam before work. No real structure or form. I’m just trying to be creative before I’m not :slight_smile:

Drums are from the DT and the synth is the SH01A - all tracks are looper tracks recorded on the fly from the different boxes

4 Likes

MC707/MC101 just got waaaayy better:

707:
Sampling Function Added
Chord Designer Function Added
Scale Performance Function Added
Sample Browser Function Added
Clip Line Load Function Added
Looper Track Functions Added
MIDI Input/Output Functions Added
Pad Sensitivity Adjustment Function Added
Metronome Sound Output Destination Selection Function Added
Added Shortcuts
Quantize Timing Adjustment Function Added

Bug Fixes

101:

Scale Performance Function Added
Sample Browser Function Added
MIDI Input/Output Functions Added
Added Shortcuts
Added Metronome Function

Bug Fixes

11 Likes

nice. might give it a try now

1 Like

Finally a substantial update… just when I sold mine yesterday :rofl:

No regrets though.

2 Likes

“Roland is listening”, hmm, well I believe they do to an extent (the TR-8S clearly had a lot of TR-8 feedback put into it) but all this stuff must have been on the roadmap since before the 707/101 were announced. It now looks like v1.0 probably should have looked. Still, gg Roland, the 707 especially looks a lot more attractive now.

p.s. since you’re listening, fix sample browsing on the TR-8S pls

5 Likes

Sure ! A sampler that can sample now… :smile::ok_hand:

5 Likes

Like I said… it looks like a v1.0 now.

2 Likes

Did they fix the max sample number allowed on the unit ?

Anybody updated their 101 to this? Does the metronome provide a count in?

Same question, count in?

Also, can the pads play external gear?

But I’m happy for what’s been added though. Progress

For the boom bap heads

4 Likes

Seems like you can’t slice manually… Oh, Roland… :I

This is a solid update. Sample import is way better. And the pads play external midi now.

Can’t find a count in though

1 Like

C’mon Roland!!!

Ok, maybe it’s a v0.9…