May i introduce: "Secret Friend" and "Temporarium Secretarium", a Digitone Drum Machine Trilogy in the making

animal collective’s output from “strawberry jam” onward was basically this song.

1 Like

this one also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXT_JEYKJXg

anyway, I’ve always wanted a DN and have had a blast any time I’ve had an opportunity to play around with one, now the existence of this amazing tool is pushing me ever-closer to actually getting one. thanks for the GAS!

2 Likes

so animal collective pre jam=ram. :joy: sorry - i’ll stop derailing the flow now…

1 Like

Woah. This is super cool. Love making drums on the digitone and this is just an awesome idea.

I’m assuming each generation is random right? Yet sort of conformed to each drum type? Curious to see how you are generating your claps!

1 Like

@SIM80 thank you, yes every generation is random or better said controlled random between ranges that i have defined which was most of the work, from a sound design perspective that is

4 Likes

hello everyone, i’m updating this thread with the release of “Secret Friend”, the 2nd part in the Digitone Drum machine trilogy. unlike “Temporarium Secretarium” this will work great with any midi instrument altho it was made with digitone in mind

During my Eternal quest to turn the digitone into the perfect drum machine i have created “Secret Friend” which is a drum pattern generator. The idea is to pair it with “Temporarium Secretarium” (my digitone drum patch generator) and to generate drum kits and patterns quickly.

simply drop the midi device on a midi track, select the sequence type you wanna generate, set the midi note, length, scale, etc, hit “Generate Pattern” and send it to the digitone (set the appropriate out channel), or any other elektron box / midi capable drum synth.

“Fills” will add flam and “FX” will sequence the send amount of the digitone FX rhythmically. if you have more than one instance loaded you can hit “Generate Rhythm” to globally generate across all instances.

“Secret Friend” is included with my Latest BC release and is available here:

on a side note: if you are broke / down and you think “Secret Friend” can help send me a PM and ill send you a copy, no quesitons asked.

20 Likes

Yes! A stand-alone version of this would make me a very happy human.

2 Likes

im still figuring out what would be the best way to distribute such thing, but once i get this done there should be nothing that could prevent this from happening

4 Likes

amazing work.
Hope I‘ll find some time to try it soon

1 Like

thanks @Unifono
i would really love to hear what ppl come up with when they use these devices to please free to share

3 Likes

Absolutely loving it. I planned to go to bed early tonight but that’s not happening.
Also the album is really nice. Great stuff! :ok_hand:

1 Like

This looks ace, will grab soon and try out with my Cycles too :smiley:

1 Like

Curious for the 3th part of the trilogy.
Big fan of your work. :sunflower:

2 Likes

i have updated “secret friend” to version 1.05, it is now possible to sequence the digitakt FX as well or to send a trig synced random CC, the later is useful for breathing life to hihats if mapped to decay for example

2 Likes

This is great. I jammed with Secret Friend on my Digitakt for hours yesterday. Was curious about the “FX” until I read this post, so I’m excited that the new version supports the DT.

If I re-download the ZIP from bandcamp, will it have the 1.05 version?
Also, I was using it on 4 separate tracks, driving 4 channels of the Digitakt. It seems like selecting “Generate Pattern” or “Generate Rhythm” on any of the tracks changed the pattern/rhythm on all of the other tracks. Was I just hearing things, or is that intended behavior?

1 Like

@morecchia808 happy to hear! exactly, if you redownloaded from BC since i have posted the update than you have 1.05 (which is also named Ylva Secret Friend_1.05). “Generate Pattern” will generate locally and “Generate Rhythm” will generate across all instances, so if this happened to you its def not intended behaviour, do let me know if this is the case (altho i would be very surprised)

Thanks for the reply! I’ll let you know if Generate Pattern is changing patterns across instances. Can probably confirm later today. Great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am definitely interested if you ever release a standalone app as i am on Linux and don’t use Abelton/Max4Live.

I am following your work on Youtube since months and i join the choir: that’s really good stuff (and i am veryyy picky), nice mixing and great drum programming (hence my curiosity for Secret Friend).

Keep the beat!

2 Likes

turns out that sequencing the octatrack with “secret friend” and using one of the devices to randomize the scenes is :heart:

5 Likes

You’re randomizing scene parameters!?! Or which scene is active?

Also, that is a killer vibe! Dig.