Max sample files on the +drive?

Sorry if I´m posting this in the wrong thread… when I press Func + Level/Data I get a message that reads “+drive has no sounds”. Is this normal? Acording to the manual there should be a full library of sounds to choose from. What am I doing wrong? Thanks to anyone who answers!

My guess:

1. You might be confusing sounds with samples. Lots of samples on firmware version 1.02, but no sounds. Sounds are presets, that’s a sample and all parameters pages.

2. You updated to firmware 1.0.3 but you haven’t performed an factory reset. 64 presets are included in this Digitakt update. (Factory reset overwrites Sound Bank A and Project 001)

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Does anyone know what the maximum number of files the +Drive can handle? This thread didn’t seem conclusive, and it’s been several years now.

Or maybe sometime knows which filesystem is used, and then I can find out the max myself. If it’s something like FAT32/VFAT, I think the max is about 64k files, but I wouldn’t want to assume anything.

I just dumped ~2400 single cycle waveforms onto the DT, and halfway through the copy I realized there might be a max. It seems to be fine, and I have about 4000 files total on the drive. Perhaps I’m nowhere near the max, but I have even more single cycles to add, but maybe it’s best to add them as chains and use the slice machine, just in case.

1 Like

No idea what the maximum is or if there is a maximum at all except the 1gb.
A good approach to take with the drive is to only add the most useful samples and not just complete batches. Because eventually you’ll run out of space and have to clean up mess you’ll never use.

The way I do this is by making a selection of a selection. So first o go through a bunch of samples quickly and make a first favorite selection (copy to new folder). Then I make a more thorough selection of that selection. That way you’re left with just useful samples. Drag those in a near folder structure to easily find them and viola.

This will also speed up the workflow on the DT as you won’t be searching as much. So do the work once before and save time after again and again.

My 2 cents :wink:

Ps. And indeed sample chains! :). Will save sample slots in a project. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those are some good tips. You make a good point about only adding what’s necessary. Thanks! I’m terrible at knowing what I’ll want in the future, so I often add far more than what I need – obviously nobody needs 2400 single cycle waveforms, haha!

I’m still curious about the max number of files, probably because I’m a big nerd and I can’t help myself. I’ve noticed the geeky tech fascination is a big part of the thrill in my music creation. If anyone knows I’d love to know, but if I never find out I’ll just have to be happy making music with the thousands of files I have on the Digitakt. Lol

1 Like