Max/MSP 8 by Cycling '74

I oughta try to patch up the patch in that first video I shared to see if M8 is actually in full force in Ableton. Simple MC patch.

If you’re able to do this first- please let me know

Thanks brother!

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pumped, but worried my 2010 MBP might be getting too clunky for the new version. I’ll probably upgrade and keep 7 just in case it just becomes too much for the processor. Thankfully I don’t push it too hard, so it should be ok :slight_smile:

Some of the new features definitely look great and it’s about time to dip back in to take a patch to the next level to integrate with my hardware.

C

10.11.6 or later … yet Live 10 (w Max8 ?!) which I also don’t have is supported in 10.7 iirc and up … :zonked: … argh

ouch … probably wishful thinking on my part - well that’s quite simple then, as you were, I’ll shuffle along - barely used Live9 anyway, but the Max news stings

1 Like

I’m sticking to Mavericks for a few reasons - don’t want another apple product hamstrung by an OS that is designed for later machines - there is a slim chance I’d consider dual booting, but I used to do this and it was an administrative nightmare - then there’s the headache of doing it (including licencing issues) and risk that you find out the hard way about breaking support for something you rely on - afaik 10.9 is one of the better lean systems after OS9 Tiger and Snow Leopard - I’m basically through with apple, I have about 14 apple products in a tech graveyard - ironically the first still works as it should (a donated G3 ibook), just like my Atari still does, and my Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.3 i7 8Gb is great for audio but can’t open a browser within a minute

I can’t replace it so bricking it is not an option - my daily computer is a Chromebook, it’s simply more pleasant to use for the net - but obviously no good for Max which I’ve used from before Live existed

There’s also the issue that I can’t pick and choose which MacOS I want - I have to take the latest supported irrespective of its support status on other apps - I can’t do 10.11 even if I wanted to

I’d probably just pick up a used Windows laptop (if any available have firewire) if push came to shove … I think the enhancements in Max 8 are growing on me, but not enough to run the risk of bricking my Mini

The Mini may install the latest OS but i wouldn’t trust Apple’s reasoning for pushing it on me, nor of their encouraging developers to drop support for a seemingly trouble free and quite recent OS

Max 8 may have to wait, by which time it may be stable

Not sure if I understood you right but you can still get 10.11…
https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12

I can’t browse that link on my Google device- but I am fairly sure I am being pushed 10.13 by apple every week - so the option to load that are unlikely - I do not have it as one of my ‘downloaded’ apps - if I bagged them all whilst free it’d be fine, but the choice is denied me as I didn’t do that

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m surprised how great the Mojave beta’s running

Awhile back they made it so you don’t need the OS in your purchases to download, I remember when it was like that though for sure…

I got the link from this page:

On bullet point 4 you’ll see the link, it will only actually open on a Mac because it points to the MacOS App Store…

You can also get Sierra by just googling download Sierra and finding a similar support page, but I’m not sure about Yosemite or anything before…

I did notice it says to be able to download the el cap installer you need to be on High Sierra or earlier, so there’s that… These are the full installers and I believe if your downgrading you have to format your drive first and prepare a bootable usb drive with the installer, there’s info available from googling how to do this, not sure though have never done it…

2 Likes

without wishing to take this too far off-topic - I am theoretically able to load Mojave so unable to do this el-capitan exception which I was aware apple did for machines which get dropped - if Mojave gets more good anecdotal feedback then I may have to investigate this - but I won’t be installing high sierra just on the off chance it may be better even though it’s matured - this stuff is a buzzkill

That ‘zippiness’ is what Karl was saying in a message when I asked how he was feeling about it earlier today. I looked into those requirements and I guess I need to look into all my OS and processor whatnot. Sometime around when they became animals and now whatever it is, I just stopped keeping up until I had to, so I have no clue where I am at this point with my OS ha.

C

1 Like

Right we should get back on topic, but maybe this will help someone else trying to run Max and deciding which OS to run.
Anyway, I do think you can load el cap from that installer even if you can run Mohave, I don’t think there are restrictions… They even mention “downgrading” in the link…

2 Likes

… well, I’m afraid even your optimism can’t trump this popup … ! :loopy:

1 Like

Sorry brother. Perhaps I create a network access for my laptop so you can play Ableton 10 and Max 8 remotely through my laptop. :smiley:

1 Like

yep that looks familiar. I think there’s App Store region lockouts to ^^&% with you as well.

This is why I have keep copies of the installers for pretty much every OSX since Leopard. El Cap is running OK on my 2010 MBP - actually it’s pretty good on my 2009 Core2duo Mac as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just checked and I’m not on El Cap either so I guess I have to find an installer before I can move forward :confused:

Nice – i like the way Sam screws up and then debugs in his head on the fly in this – like needing to convert midi note numbers to note names. So now i have (less vague) ideas of how to use Node for Max. Thanks for that. I’ll check this guy’s YT channel some more.

(Is it safe to come back here now, is the Apple Mac OS stuff over?)

2 Likes

This filled in a few pieces on Node for Max for me:

2 Likes

I’m just now trying to follow the Max 8 tutorials for M4L- and it appears that the MC command doesn’t work?

I’m just taking shots in the dark, so, if anyone can set me straight- that would trump my suspicion that ability is not included in M4L