Matriarch or Pro 3 — which recent monosynth, and why?

Cool. I’ll look for that thread.

EDIT: The filter sure sounds lovely in your demo. Wow.

Also…regarding old school Sounds…Behringer 2600…

What about a Matrixbrute? Plenty of modulation and patching options there, same price as a Matriarch, and no need for cables…

1 Like

Forgot about that. When’s that coming out?

Glad you liked it!

That was mostly just one filter’s in only one of it’s modes, it has another filter similar to the 303 filter and the first filter can also be set to 1/2/3/4/5/6 pole and has two different resonance modes.

I’m about to upload another recording of a patch from a track I was working on today which shows some of the sounds you can get from it’s analog PM combined with the FM capabilities of it’s many LFO’s

1 Like

I watched one of the videos about the vector morphing between presets. Interesting idea.

Good question. I assume end of 2020? Worth to watch.

All the videos of the Motas-6 have this high pitched noise.

1 Like

Even my demos? It doesn’t have a high pitched noise and I know the official demos from Motas have that whine noise which I believe is due to how he’s recorded it. I’ve had no issue with any noise coming from the Motas, I do however currently have an issue with Noise coming from the USB of My sequencer and this becomes more apparent when I use high gain on anything in my studio.

EDIT: Jon the designer confirmed that it was a USB issue in his set up and that he’s now fixed it. I personally have no noise at all and am very impressed with how quiet the Motas is.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard your demo yet. I’ve only seen the vids from the official site. I guess it’s a grounding issue with the usb cable.

Got the Pro 3 Saturday supposed to pick up a matriarch this Saturday. Very different tones, you most definitely need both. :joy:

The Motas 6 is my favorite analog mono I’ve ever played with. I traded my Pro 3 for one, and am very pleased I did.

1 Like

Either the Motas 6 inspires cult-like devotion in people or some users on here are using this forum to advertise the product. I hope it’s the former, but I’m getting a little suspicious.

3 Likes

Buchla 208c Easel Command

Sounds like a Soma to me.

2 Likes

A total of around 60 Motas have been sold so far, hardly enough to cover paying people to promote it, only reason I’ve been vocal about my love for it as I kind of feel indebted to the creator for making it, I kind of wish that I was the only person who owned it as I know that I’d be able to do things in music that no one else could but then I feel bad that someone has spent a large portion of their life designing this thing and just for it to go unnoticed.

Also if I’d bought the pro3 or matriarch or something like that and later stumbled on to the Motas I would have been quite regretful in my choice so I just want people who’re looking at spending as much or more on a monosynth to atleast know of its existence.

Id disagree with most posts here. I own a Matriarch and the pro 2 (had no interest in getting a pro 3).

i also own a lot of other analog synths mentioned here including a lot of modular gear.

the matriarch is second to none in my opinion and if i had to choose just one synth, this would be it.

Why? Sound and ease of use.

Its very intuitive to dial in new sounds and because its one function per knob you can change and match each sound intuivly and perfect for thr track you need. there is absolutely no need for preset slots.

of course the pro 2 (like the pro 3) has more functions - but also a complete different workflow. on a synth like this you choose a preset or create a sound by diving into the menues and then you play on the keys or start a sequencer. On a Matriarch (or even more on a Grandmother) you perfom on the keys and ALL the knobs at the same time. Your brain learn very quick on how to recall a sound, you dont need presets.

if you want to make music like forbidden planet, this is the best choice.

4 Likes

Do you have a Lyra? I do and, trust me, that’s not what Lyra does. (As much as I like it.)

1 Like

I have a MOOG Grandmother and will never sell it. The sound is amazing, and I find it enjoyable to explore knob twisting on.

I also recently got a HydraSynth (Desktop) and it can sound quite THICK when you dive in. I agree some of the some of the presets that were shown in online vids are on the thin side. I actually took the time to go on and set each one to the WARM function they added with the firmware update, and they sound better for sure. I prefer to make my own and have had much success in creating some nice warm sounds. They have also added quite a few things since release, in multiple firmware updates. Of course this is just my opinion and it all comes down to listener preference. Good luck on your decision process, I’m sure you will find what you want.

Thanks. Interesting to hear this perspective. I should reiterate, what I said was that I was NOT looking merely to recreate Forbidden Planet soundtracks. What I should have said is that I do not like to think of synths as tools for “leads and basses.” Nor do I think of them as tools for making ambient pads. I just like to get interesting sounds out of them.

People talk about the modulation options on the Pro 3 and, yes, they do look superior as well as easy to program. But on the other hand, I have not been too impressed by the harsh, metallic sounds that seem to be the synth’s bread and butter. Some demos have sounded more alluring than others, but in terms of sound, the Matriarch has been more persuasive.

Tough one. They are priced very similarly at the shop where I would buy one, if I were going to. There are other factors to consider. If I bought one, I think I’d want to use it as my main midi keyboard as well. I’ve heard the Pro 3 has the better keybed. I’ve also heard the Matriarch has a few disappointing build issues, like low quality plastic cheeks, etc. Maybe it’s not a big deal. I’m just saying, they are similar enough yet different enough to make the choice between them a difficult one.

1 Like