Mastering Digitone Course - Part 2 is now released!

Awesome to hear this, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:
Digitone to me is, like the Digitakt, a gift that keeps on giving. Keep finding new ways to use it. Seemingly limited but so much depth.

1 Like

@DaveMech Iā€™m very familiar with the Elektron sequencer, and understand the Digitone well.

Would you recommend I still start with part one, or skip straight to part 2?

1 Like

How well versed do you feel you are with FM synthesis and using it to design your own sounds? Part 1 goes into depth on that specifically. It also covers building a basic groove but part 2 goes way beyond that.

Part 2 really goes into creating complete grooves so it takes the sound design ideas from part 1 to design sounds into a groove simultaneously. And arrangement.

Iā€™d suggest starting with part 1 if you want to up your FM chops. If youā€™re in doubt just get parts 1+2 and if you think one of them is useless to you Iā€™ll be happy to do a partial refund (so you end up with having paid the price of one part).

Let me know if that works for you :slight_smile:

It sounds like I would also benefit from part one. Iā€™m fairly familiar with FM, but Iā€™m sure I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

1 Like

Happy to help. Enjoy the course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I purchased both parts a few days ago and completed the first one today.

Iā€™ve been using elektron boxes for years and I know FM pretty well. I still decided to buy the course mostly to see how someone else creates sounds and uses the digitone in depth.

Dave did a great job here. Not only I had a few ā€œreally???ā€ moments in the theory section, but seeing how Dave creates a sound and then keeps changing and tweaking and trying ideas around it was great.

I learned quiet a bit but mostly had a lot of fun watching everything.

Will go thru part 2 next week :wink:

5 Likes

Saving up for it!

1 Like

Finally completed Part 1 and wanted to leave some feedback.

Iā€™d 100% recommend this course for anyone new to the Digitone. Dave explains the basics of FM synthesis and how it is implemented on the Digitone in an easy to understand manner (visually using an oscilloscope).
He really encourages you to tweak the parameters slowly and to use your ears to really hear the different tones this instrument can make. I really enjoyed building the patches and following along to the course.
Lastly, he builds a very simple groove and I canā€™t wait for Part 2 where he will deep dive into this aspect.

Shameless plug, but this is the groove I built whilst following along to the course. Very basic but Iā€™m fairly happy with it because all sounds are my own. If I can make these sounds, anyone can.

Thanks Dave!

8 Likes

@DaveMech I bought part one and Iā€™m already learning a ton about FM. What oscilloscope are you using? Mine doesnā€™t show the harmonics.

1 Like

Thanks for this feedback :blush: really happy to read it was so much fun even for someone who is welll versed with the Elektron stuff already. Thanks for leaving a message !

Thanks for the review ! And nice track you made there. actually great to hear some music made based off of the course. Would love to hear more from others as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to hear :slight_smile:
The iPad OS app is called ā€˜oscilloscope & Spectogramā€™

2 Likes