Mastering Digitone Course - Part 2 is now released!

I know you meant it as a joke, but ‘in this economy’ it would actually be logical to higher the price since inflation is so high. Everything is getting more expensive. In stead I kept the same price point as the DT course I released last year. It’s what I think it’s worth. :slight_smile:

Thanks though :slight_smile: . It takes a lot of work to create and it makes me really happy to see people getting so much out if it. So I’ll keep going :+1:

3 Likes

Dave, what’s next, any ideas on Part 2?

1 Like

Will be going deeper into creating a groove with own sound design. Ao taking things further where part 1 ends. I’ll cover things like voice allocation a lot deeper and squeezing out more from the tracks and voices.

Any topic or idea that you’d like to have me she’d some light on specifically?

I would personally like to hear more on creating deep and complex evolving pads and technique ideas based on keyboard aftertouch.
Also some deep algo understanding would help. Like when to use which algorithm.

Sorry if it is already covered in Part 1, Im still in progress with it.

1 Like

The algorithm explanation is mostly covered. I explain for certain sounds which algorithms I prefer and why. With each algorithm you can do so many different things and also the same things with different results that it would become a bit of a mess to specifically indicate “algorithm 2 is best for this specific sound”. Imho the exploration part of FM is what makes it so much fun so I tend to keep things pretty open for that exploration and give myself tasks to create certain types of sounds with each algorithm to see where I end up :slight_smile:

In part two I will cover mod matrix assignments. I’ll keep AT in mind :slight_smile:
I’ll also go deeper into using algorithms and more complex sound design.

How did part 1 go for you?

I’m releasing a series of 1 minute shorts on Youtube the following 10 weeks or so. These shorts are quick tips taken from the Mastering Digitone course part 1 (and editted in a snappy way to make it fit :wink: ). The first one is online now:

Every Saturday at 2:00 PM a new one will be released. This will give a bit of a view inside the 4 hour part 1 of the course. Enjoy :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Ok…… I GUESS I’ll watch them…… I know what your trying to make me do.
Your gonna end up convincing me to purchase the course…… god d@$! it.

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:man_shrugging:t3:
The tips are useful either way I hope :wink:

Given that this one 60-second clip presented something I thought I understood about the DN UI in a way that made me realize I did not, but also explained the actual purpose of the controls I’ve been twiddling lo these many months perfectly clearly in passing, your strategy of releasing little preview snippets has made you at least one sale of the whole course. Cheers!

3 Likes

That’s really great to hear @hlprmnky :slight_smile: Especially that you got so much out of a 1 minute video. Thanks for the support!

I just launched a Discord community and I’ve added a section especially for course followers. I hope this way course followers can help each other and ask questions that I’ll try to answer as well. This way I hope people will get even more out of the courses.

Join here: https://discord.gg/ZZ9NFE94C4

2 Likes

Hi Dave. I saw your story on Instagram just now re DN Part 2. When do you think that’ll launch and will you be doing a bundled for the two parts together? Thanks!

1 Like

Ello!
I expect to release it in February. There will indeed be a bundled version with parts 1 & 2. However, anyone who bought part 1 will get a discount on part 2 which will result in the same price as the bundled version :). So no need to wait on the bundle.

Cheers,

6 Likes

This is great! Looking forward to part 2.

Thank you!

1 Like

Happy with it so far :). Was a pretty difficult recording process. 6 hours of material. Now edited down to about 4. The groove also turned out great. Was able to put in a lot of ideas and techniques people asked about in YouTube comments and mail.

Still a lot of editing and some recording to do.

4 Likes

Ello!

I’m very glad to share that I just released Mastering Digitone part 2: Advanced Groove Design. It’s a massive 4 hour 79 video course that goes into depth on creating a complex groove on just the Digitone. You can get it here:

There’s also a part 1 + 2 bundle:

This second part of the course goes into depth on on a workflow to create a complete groove and track on the Digitone utilising and maximising its 4 tracks and 8 voices. While creating a groove together I cover a lot of functionality and how to apply them in creative ways.

We cover the following and more:

1. how to make a groove work and to make sure that it doesn’t sound like a loop
  2. Tools to make sure that the overall sound mix is in balance.
  3. A complete workflow from start to finish to create a solid groove, a complete break and drop, and even pattern variations to be used in song mode.

As usual it was a huge amount of work to create, and it got delayed quite a bit because of getting ill. but I’m happy it’s here and pleased with the result. Hope you will be too. Glad that I can finally show this to fellow Digitone enthusiasts. If you want more information please visit the link. It has an introduction video and preview videos in the header.

If you end up getting it, enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers, Dave

16 Likes

Okay lets go!

3 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: Hope you’re enjoying it so far !

1 Like

So I’ve pulled the trigger on a Digitone and will be purchasing this course tonight. I’ve owned a Model:Cycles before so tut Elektron workflow isn’t totally alien to me!

Do you plan on adding Parts to this course, or do you consider it completed?

2 Likes

Nice! Enjoy the DN, it’s really really nice.
And enjoy the course :slight_smile:

Regarding the course: It’s completed for now but at the same time it is not. I have a course structure in mind where more modules will be added in a different way. Can’t share too much about this yet as I’m still in the process of expanding on the ideas I have.

3 Likes

I’ve owned the Digitone for over a year now, and used it mostly as a preset machine and although I sometimes liked the sounds it never really clicked. So I put it away for a few months, thinking of selling it. I already followed your first basics course, which was helpful, but this second course really opened the DN up for me! All of a sudden it all made sense! I’ve been making lots of low-end grooves that can be used as the backbone of new tracks, with plenty of possibilities for live performance! I can highly recommend Dave’s courses for anyone who wants to take their DN skills to the next level and be inspired! Thank you Dave, it’s like the ultimate GAS killer (for those who already own a Digitone of course)

4 Likes