Mastering Digitone Course - Part 2 is now released!

Hi fellow Nauts,

A new instalment of the courses I create is here. This Mastering Digitone course covers a lot of ground and has been a huge task to create in a way I felt happy with. The idea was go into depth on Digitone functionality while teaching FM synthesis theory in a way that makes it easier to approach. Then in the second part the focus is set on creating a complex and very complete groove, wit break down, drop and everything needed to arrange it into a full track. With this course you can start designing sounds in a more goal orientated way without getting lost, and then use those sounds to create complete grooves on the Digitone.

The first part focusses on FM synthesis and sound design:

1. It’s starts with thorough FM synthesis in a audio/visual and pragmatic way. Showing you in detail why FM works the way it does and ideas on how to control it.
  2. Sound designing percussion, basses, stabs/leads, and a pad with the theory learned in the beginning
  3. Creating a basic groove with the sounds we designed

Part 1 contains 80 videos lasting about 4 hours. So it’s a big one :slight_smile:

You can find the first part of the course here including an introduction/promo video and the first few videos of the course:

The second part focusses on groove design and arrangement:

1. how to make a groove work and to make sure that it doesn’t sound like a loop
  2. Tools to make sure that the overall sound mix is in balance.
  3. A complete workflow from start to finish to create a solid groove, a complete break and drop, and even pattern variations to be used in song mode.

If you end up getting it, I hope you enjoy it. It was a lot of work but also a lot of fun to create.

Cheers!
Dave

48 Likes

And… Got it, thanks a lot, Dave! Been meaning to dig deeper on my Digitone, I love its sounds but definitely need a good in depth explanation of why I found such beautiful sounds in this machine (I mainly stumble upon them) and also been wanting to be more purposeful when sound designing on it :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice, I’ll be getting this soon. Really enjoyed your Digitakt series as well!

1 Like

One vote for Syntakt next :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Victor!
Thanks for the support dude and enjoy the course :slight_smile: . That’s indeed a perfect fit then.

Thanks ! Enjoy :slight_smile: would love to know what you think of it :+1:

Possibly :slight_smile:
Have to think about it for a bit. Or part 2 for DN first or Syntakt part 1. I could use some more time with ST first

2 Likes

Thanks Dave, my wife just bought me this gem for my upcoming birthday

1 Like

That is really cool :smiley:
Hope you enjoy the course. Would love to hear what your hink of it ! And happy birthday :tada:

1 Like

Nice resources to have on tap.

Could you list out each lesson with a 1-phrase description? I’m not a novice, nor am I an expert. If I was going to consider paying almost $100 I’d like to know what I would be getting or whether to wait for Part 2.

2 Likes

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your interest. In the introduction video I sum up a lot of the topics and things that will be covered. The first few videos in the course are also available on the product page (in the header) . I could share the video index that is included in the course, but honestly I think the introduction video does the course more justice as the index is more aimed for looking up subjects. My approach covers things in a pragmatic way. I’m not checking off a dry list to explain every function separately. This makes everything feel more natural and you learn an approach and workflow to dealing with FM effectively.

Here are the chapter subjects which might give you a better idea. Let me know if you would like to see the video index where each videos main subjects are visible (80 videos), I’ll send it to you :slight_smile:

Chapter 1 - FM Fundamentals explained
Chapter 2 - Creating basic waveforms - analogue emulation - subtractive synthesis on the Digitone
Chapter 3 - Algorithms and envelopes - Harmonics parameter - Additive synthesis on the Digitone
Chapter 4 - Sound Design analogy - Kick sound design - LFO’s explained in depth and how to use them effectively
Chapter 5 - Snare sound design - HiHat sound design
Chapter 6 - Bass sound design - Woody sounds - Key scale - Analogue-ish emulations
Chapter 7 - (dub) Stab Sound design - Send FX explained in depth and how to use them effectively - LFO voice phasing explained
Chapter 8 - Pad sound design
Chapter 9 - Creating a basic groove with some of the sounds we created

Hope this gives you a bit more insight. Can also recommend to watch the introduction video on the product page. Let me know if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

Cheers,

8 Likes

“If one or more of these apply to you…

• Bought the Digitone to create sounds and grooves, but ultimately use it more like a preset machine“

Ooof my ego! Thanks for putting this course together, I’m looking forward to starting it today.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated.

I suppose, in some sense, I was looking for the info you have in the text you wrote in your reply to see if the video was worth my time as the next step. And also to help inform others after me. But, really, it’s all me me me. Hehehe

1 Like

Haha :smiley:
Would love to hear what you think of it. And thanks for the support!

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile:
I understand. I’m glad you asked because it makes me wonder if I could come up with a way of making this more insightful without it becoming two pages long. The chapter subjects I listed are really broad stroke subjects and I cover a loooot more in detail than that :wink: . I’ll come up with a way to make this more insightful I’m sure. Again thanks for sharing that question.

1 Like

This looks great. The Digitone is the only Elektron box which slightly intimidates me and therefore gets less use, because I’m just not very good at getting the sounds I want from it (aside from with presets, obvs!). Have always enjoyed your videos and love the style of music you make so I will definitely be checking this out. Thanks!

1 Like

Great to hear :slight_smile:
That’s basically the perfect use case for this course. If you do get it, enjoy and would love to hear what you think of it.

1 Like

Hey, I finished the course today.

It was awesome.

@DaveMech you have really helped me build a good foundation to the Digitone, and my I understanding on how FM is used on the machine.

I had a very basic idea about how carriers and operators worked, but now I really feel comfortable with how it works on the Digitone.

The course is really well thought out, and presented logically.

I have read the manual prior to the course. @DaveMech lays out the material so that it’s easy to understand, and it’s very easy to go back and re-watch something if I missed it.

It’s just a lovely course that is easy going, and actually fun. I really found myself looking forward to doing these lessons once I had already done a few.

I would love to see @DaveMech be employed to make these for Elektron. Much like Max Ravitz has done for Moog via YouTube.

I am glad I paid for this. If there is a part 2, I would probably pay to take that course too.

Thank you for putting it together. Well done!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to review. Really awesome to hear this. It’s what I hoped people would think when following the course. Thanks :pray:! :slight_smile:

1 Like

75 euro :wastebasket: tokens HOLY in THIS ECONOMY THOUGH)!? LOL on a serious note though. Awesome contribution man. Thanks. :pray:

1 Like