Master Track Question

Interesting concept, can you elaborate on how you program this?

[Func]+[Rec1] to enter the record setup menu. SRC3 should be default to main, but you can set it to nothing (-) and that should stop the lights indicating level of your main track. If your LEDs are remaining illuminated when playback is stopped then you have a bug and need to power cycle the OT.

1 Like

There’s various ways to do the p-lock compressor things.
You can p-lock the ratio a little higher on the kick steps, or p-lock the comp mix level (and makeup gain to adjust)

As for the more creative scene stuff, if you have FX that are set to send levels and not mix levels, you can adjust the compressor via scenes to compress more or less (ratio or comp mix level) in accordance to those FX sends. Or if you are bringing in more low frequencies from another track, have the compressor adjust to it.

Often I have the compressor set so high it is limiting, and so muting the kick throws the whole mix up in the high frequencies.
Instead of muting the kick, I’ll use a scene to either filter it out or bring it’s track level down, while also adjusting the comp makeup gain, threshold, and/or mix level.

I basically follow a rule of making some kind of master track compressor scene modulation to counteract any track scene modulation I program. Often times it is a subtle tweak, but it keeps everything under control and usually means I can get away with using less processing after the OT to tame things.

8 Likes

This is confusing . When i press function REC1 i get a set up page. Function REC2 same. REC3 says edit recording page. The two yellow leds remain and it sounds like its playing back two recordings. The other tracks except one are no longer being triggered? I have it set to MAIN. Shall i just turn it off and start again? I still dont know why the slice grid is showing as well

[quote=“sabana, post:24, topic:145272, full:true”]
This is confusing . When i press function REC1 i get a set up page. Function REC2 same. REC3 says edit recording page. The two This is confusing . When i press function REC1 i get a set up page. Function REC2 same. REC3 says edit recording page. The two yellow leds remain and it sounds like its playing back two recordings. The other tracks except one are no longer being triggered? I have it set to MAIN. Shall i just turn it off and start again? I still dont know why the slice grid is showing as well

Its a new AE i think its okay. Im not holding down anything i have pressed Function and REc3 nothing is working here.

1 Like

Ive done a power cycle and all files are restored and no yellow LEDS above REC3. And no slice mode grid on main page. If anyone can shed any light on why this has happened please let me know as i havent a clue.

1 Like

Just to make sure, have you updated to OS 1.40A? That patch fixed a few bugs like that.

It’s absolutely normal.

[FUNC] + [REC1/2] opens the RECORDING SETUP 1/2 menus.
[FUNC] + [REC3] opens the RECORDING EDIT menu.

To change the trig mode (tracks, chromatic, slots, grid) press [FUNC] + [UP] or [DOWN].

The leds above the REC3 button indicates the signal strength of an internal source when you configured SRC3.

Just take it slowly. Writing more or less confusing posts (it’s hard to guess what is really happening on your side) doesn’t help.

I would suggest you read through the manual once to get a rough overview so you won’t get confused.

1 Like

Yes thanks.

Seriously first off i have read the manual 3 times and more. Im a manual lover.

2 Likes

But the manual has to love you back, and that only comes from mutual trust and understanding.

Like tnussb said

Nothing to worry about there.

2 Likes

I admit a bit of panic set in. But when you try everything and nothing works(re why the leds remain on and what happened to the samples in the flex machines) then what man doesnt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where these flex machines playing back from record buffers? Maybe you just re-recorded into the buffers by accident filling them with silence?

If panic sets in again, hands off the machine and calm down. Everything is fine with the machine, you just pressed the wrong buttons. Nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Cheers. I did make sure by deleting the record buffers which did have recordings in. But even that made no difference.
Out of interest i didn’t press a track and rec3 to save. i just saved by pressing Function and REc3 and edit recording then save. Could that be why?

The reason for my “hands off” advice is this:

All around the machine are little indicators what it is doing. Like the small icons on the left and right side indicating the play state. Or the trig buttons flashing when in tracks mode.

By just looking at the display and the leds blinking you can decipher what’s going on. But this takes time and a calm mind.

My guess why the tracks stopped playing is still the same. They haven’t stopped. They were just playing silence from the empty rec buffers (unless you have reconfigured the flex machines to play from a sample slot and not from the empty recbuffers).

4 Likes

Yes i know about the plus signs attached to the FLEX machines. But my wife says if i go any slower i will be in reverse :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will try again but press track and rec3 tonight. The slicing went well and recording the beat i made with the slices. Just this darned REC3 thang. :slight_smile:

How can they play silence as all record buffers had been cleared.? The flex tracks were assigned to my original samples

I’m just guessing here since you haven’t said anything about how the flex machines were configured before. So the flex machines are using a normal sample slot and not a record buffer for playback? (record buffer 1-8 are in the sample slot list above slot 1)

Then my comment about playing silence is void, of course. I meant when a flex machine is directly playing a record buffer and you clear it, it is playing silence afterwards (no data in the buffer anymore).

1 Like