Master pickup machines

Hi,

I’m trying to learn to master the P machine. I’ve got an experimental Project loaded. On track 1 I placed a PUM. On track 2 and 3 I put something else.

I recorded a 128-step loop into the PUM on track 1.

On track 4, later, I made another PUM. I recorded another loop into it. Then I realised it must be a “slave” PUM, because its length was set to 128, like the master.

I replaced the PUM in track 1 with something else.

Should the PUM in track 4 now behave as if it is standalone/master? Or is the logic in those machines a bit non-dynamic and weird? Or am I being a bit non-dynamic and weird?

By that I mean, should I now be able to erase and record a new loop with its own new length, on the PUM on track 4? (It was previously a slave. Now it’s alone.)

In theory, yes you are correct.

In theory.

The PUMs are eccentric in their behavior. People have been able to get both the slave and master symbols displayed in a PUM track. Spend an afternoon tracking down the various PUM threads here and reading through them.

3 Likes

Haha. Ok. Understood :slight_smile: I actually had a master+slave together on track 4 (I didn’t realise this was noteworthy) so I will put it down to experience and treat the machines with care.

well, experience of a bug :zonked:

a long long standing bug

nearly 4.y.o. at least

2 Likes

Are you using the first pickup to define tempo or having the sequencer going first to get sequencer tempo PU loops?

The latter is what I do, and I’ve found if recording pattern length recordings or multiples like 128, 256, 512, if I turn all PU len parameters to off, and use qpl, qrec, and one2mode to define length, it seems I never have to worry about the master/slave paradigm…
I can start and stop them when I want, they stay in sync, and they don’t change the bpm…

1 Like