Massive X

think it must still have bugs, Mac demo crashes as soon as you try to look at the non existent presets

I have a pre-retina mid 2012 MBP i7 and it runs just fine? It only starts eating CPU once you start playing and then itā€™s still only 30% max at really complex patches but I have that with an older synth like Rounds as well.

Itā€™s included in Komplete 12 so you can play with it now.
Thereā€™s a sale on so I upgraded to 12 for Ā£79. Una Corda was really what made me do it but Massive X is the cherry on top.

1 Like

Yeah, I know thatā€™s on and it is tempting but I really do have plenty to keep me occupied - especially as Iā€™m seriously tempted by another bit of hardwareā€¦ For me, Ā£79 would get me MassiveX, Una Corda, TRK-01, Form, a bunch of sampled stuff, and some more effects. Which is an absolutely steal in any personā€™s language.

But you know with NI there will be further sales so, by the time K13 comes out there will be even more to not have enough time to devote to.

3 Likes

I also have a 2015 MacBook Pro which I purchased about 2 years ago and kept it in good condition. Reaktor runs perfectly fine on mine though. Now Iā€™m thinking my laptop is getting outdated pretty fast!!

Yup. Down to the wire but I have this urge not to upgrade right now. I have more than I need. Theyā€™ll have another sale in December and about this time next year.

2 Likes

True, Iā€™m a sucker and I know once they put Noire (Nils Frahmā€™s grand piano) in K13 then Iā€™ll be all over it.

1 Like

2011 13" MacBook Pro here. Massive X working fine.

1 Like

No manual yet. Anyone found a half-decent video guide?

Iā€™m digging the Massive X. I said I wasnā€™t going to get the K12 upgrade. But I did

The sounds are super clean.

3 Likes

I read about this aliasing thing this weekend and tested it today. I think its a non issue because the harmonic peaks on a sine are below - 90 db. I also doubt that the cause is aliasing, because the behaviour doesnt change when I switch from 44 to 96 khz in the host.

For me massive x sounds too clean and sometimes overproduced. Im missing a lot of dirt that i get when using a module from noise engineering.

but thats what I think from most softsynths out there:

2 Likes

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x5rj472xd107v5n/Massive+X+Tables+for+Serum(Cleaned%2BTrimmed).zip

MX tables

2 Likes

Not a fair comparison but all the pad presets just sound like an ā€œoutlineā€ or ā€œshellā€ of a sound compared to the pads on my OB6. You just canā€™t replicate analog oscillators with software convincingly, end of story.

1 Like

Massive X 1.1 - 2019-10-31

• ADDED Exciter, Amp and Mod Envelope displays reflect their actual state and respond to user input
  • ADDED UI Themes (Default, Dark, Light, Flat Default, Flat Dark, Flat Light). The flat themes increase compatibility with older graphic cards
  • ADDED New factory presets now have a separate section/type in Browser
  • ADDED Rise/Fall parameter in both LFO Switcher and LFO Random Envelope displays the actual parameter state and responds to user input
  • ADDED Grid labels to the Tracker
  • ADDED Full manual available as a download
  • FIXED Preset name is now saved with host project
  • FIXED Loading Massive X on systems with Intel integrated graphics (HD 3000, and other older cards) should not crash the host anymore
  • FIXED Clicking Previous/Next Preset in Massive X UI, when there are no user presets saved, does not crash the host anymore
  • FIXED AfterTouch (AT) and PitchBend (PB) labels and 1:1 assignments are now correctly saved and recalled with preset
  • FIXED Initialising Uni/Bi in Tracker now resets both the offsets and the curve
  • FIXED Unit FX display page changing when new Insert FX page is selected
  • FIXED Basic/Custom menu state in Performer is now correctly saved and recalled with presets
  • KNOWN ISSUE FL Studio 20 VST: when loading a preset the interface will shrink. Fix: close and open interface
  • KNOWN ISSUE Cubase and Studio One: text input does not work correctly when Massive X is hosted in Komplete Kontrol or Maschine KPI view
  • KNOWN ISSUE Logic 10.4.5, Ableton Live 10: using the freeze function may result in incorrectly rendered audio - save your project before freezing the track
  • KNOWN ISSUE In some cases the INIT presets are not loading in Pro Tools. Loading the Massive X plug-in within Komplete Kontrol is a potential workaround
3 Likes

Itā€™s good your large purchase is justified to you but I donā€™t think they were trying to claim that they were trying to achieve maximum analogness.
Do your OB6 wavetables sound more analog than massive too?
Are you claiming that if an instrument doesnā€™t sound analog then itā€™s not good? That really limits your sound pallet I think. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with your statement?

Not really super into Massive either but not because it doesnā€™t sound analog enough.

5 Likes

Bumping this since I just got it and am pretty blown away with it.
$100 for the cross grade with 450 bonus patches (across 3 expansions) was a deal too good to pass up.

But I am glad that I waited till after all the crucial updates.
Looks like a lot was tweaked in 1.2 back in December:

• ADDED The Lightguide on KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series Keyboards indicates the remote octave of the Performer
  • ADDED Dropping presets on the UI saves them in the user folder
  • ADDED 100 new Factory Presets
  • IMPROVED Demo time has been increased from 30 to 60 minutes
  • FIXED Stereo Delay with sync no longer causes audio dropout on selection of another track
  • FIXED Vertical Grid in the Tracker editor no longer shows wrong values
  • FIXED The Exciter Envelope display curve no longer jitters when ā€œHoldā€ is set to 0 and ā€œRatioā€ is moved
  • FIXED The INIT preset is loaded in Pro Tools on initial loading
  • FIXED All parts of the application now mark the current preset with an asterisk when edited
  • FIXED Freezing and unfreezing of a track now results in the same sound. This occasionally was not the case before
  • FIXED in the latest FL Studio 20.6 release: Massive X plugin window doesnā€™t shrink anymore on every preset load

Definitely a fun synth to enjoy just exploring without any track making in mind.
This is my new video game.

6 Likes

Iā€™m really tempted by the crossgrade offer and only have a day left!

Iā€™ll need to do some quick research and youtube reviews, but for you:
After a day of using it, is it worth picking up if I already have Massive and Live?

Thanks!

incredible soft synth, the top of the line along with u-he

2 Likes

For me, yea. I prefer the updated interface.

Download the demo and have a go with it and decide for yourself.

2 Likes

Iā€™m waiting patiently for the next iteration of Komplete which, if previous release cycles are to be trusted should be this autumn. Iā€™m still on K10 (plus I upgraded to Reaktor6 as soon as it was available) so the next iteration of Komplete will be where I reach that tipping point of value for money and Iā€™ll be all over MassiveX.

Iā€™m in the same boat with VCollection - not upgraded for a few iterations so the next should be extra double fun.

1 Like