Maschine MK3 and Kontrol Mk2

Ah right, I missed the part about midi mode. Not really tried that.

First time Iā€™ve used it like this. Would have thought you could use midi mode not attached to a computer but you canā€™t, makes the mode a bit pointless really but oh well

ā€¦and i am blown away by that beast. Iā€™m actually thinking about to sell my hardware (ARmk1, Korg Minilogue, Microbrute, FMR RNC,ā€¦)

I really like the overall workflow, sound and tweakability. No more wasted time searching for workarounds. Oh and the pads, i have never touched other pads than ARmk1 pads and i know they arenā€™t the best but DAMN, the Maschine mk3 pad are so nice to play, itā€™s a world of a differenceā€¦

2 Likes

Mk3 is great but sell all your kit before the honeymoon is over and youā€™ll probably buy more stuff in a couple of months, especially when youā€™re sitting on the money from all your old gear. If youā€™ve only played rytm pads youā€™re missing out, theyā€™re undoubtedly the stiffest pads Iā€™ve ever used. Mk3s pad design is 10/10 imo. Good to see other new users enjoying it too

1 Like

Oh, i dont think i will buy hardware again. Software sound so good todayā€¦

2 Likes

Cheers for posting, woulda missed that. Iā€™d be really happy if Apple and NI joined forces. Logic is my first choice DAW so more integration would be cool. Iā€™d like an option for groups to automatically create and route audio to individual tracks

2 Likes

Yeah- if Maschine made itself the defacto Session view of Logic, it would be a pretty tempting reason to get back on the Maschine bandwagon. I would have been interested in a NI DAW, but if they teamed up to make Logic that DAW- Iā€™d certainly be intrigued.

3 Likes

I donā€™t suppose that update might be eligible for Maschine Studio?

Because I could see the extended controls of Studio being pretty cool in Logicā€¦

and those Maschines are going for pretty cheap 2nd hand these daysā€¦

1 Like

Someone did some digging in the xml files and thereā€™s mention of an 88 key komplete kontrol mk2. Also something called ā€œmassive Xā€, not sure if thatā€™s gonna be a maschine expansion or massive 2. Not sure if itā€™s been discussed already here

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/free-expansions-coming-in-komplete-12.328679/

Yea I saw that thread too. I wonder if it will be something to compete against Halion 6. We will find out September. Thatā€™s when the komplete 11 sale ends.

is there a way to shift octave with a pedal that im missing? on my MPC I can change bank with a pedal which is great for finger drumming, on maschine iā€™ve got these huge kits in kontakt but I have to switch page by hand which isnt great when youā€™re trying to keep a rhythm with your hands already on the pads

2 Likes

Can any experienced maschine mk3 users comment on how easy it is to put together full tracks using only the maschine software? Itā€™s been a few years since I used maschine and the arrangement setup was always a bit cumbersome.

If not needing any lengthy audio tracks then itā€™s a breeze. There are new arrangement options that allow ideas to develop quickly.

Despite the addition of the audio module, itā€™s still a bit naff for handling any sort of lengthy audio that will bridge scenes and things.

And one thing that winds me up no end is when you arrange things and want to change one scene, say for drum pattern variation, you need to create a new scene otherwise itā€™ll affect all scenes with that reference. Itā€™s a small thing but Iā€™m so used to working this way in Live that it drives me mental.

3 Likes

And one thing that winds me up no end is when you arrange things and want to change one scene, say for drum pattern variation, you need to create a new scene otherwise itā€™ll affect all scenes with that reference. Itā€™s a small thing but Iā€™m so used to working this way in Live that it drives me mental.

Me too. I thought I was the only one. its crazy because the stock sounds in maschine are so good when you got a groove going but the. That happens. I guess the workaround is save and bounce variations to live. Regardless Iā€™ll still use my maschine e in standalone for building ideas.

3 Likes

Can someone explain how parameter locks work in maschine? Is it similar to the elektron way?

Yes, itā€™s similar. While in Step Mode, while holding the pad for a step, you can change most parameters and they will be changed for that step only.

1 Like

I grabbed a kontrol mk2 to pair with maschine mk3. Fun using them together. I wonder if elektron will ever use such nice big colour screens. Even been tempted to get a jam to have everything in front of me. Hesitant though, anyone reckon a jam mk2 is gonna appear shortly?

I doubt it for both accounts.

Elektronā€™s current screens ARE like the new Maschine screens(comparative to Elektron) and the jam is already their new affordable + sleek offering.

I reckon if they WERE planning on a mk2 it would have been on their day of releases

I can see a MK2 landing when Maschine hits v3. Predicting that though is nigh on impossible!

Yeah I suppose. I kinda like the retro style of elektron screens either way. ive gotta say it is nice to have all the little icons for libraries and everything though. Enjoying it a lot.

One thing that does get on my tits is how the keyboard is sort of locked to whatever maschine is doing. I watched all the videos before I bought it and kind of assumed youā€™d be able to say have maschine on a drum group and play synths/keys with KK. Not so bad on my own cause I donā€™t have four arms but when I have a mate over to play itā€™s one or the other. Unless I switch the keyboard to midi mode, set up the midi channel for the group, set up macro parameters and set CCs, just a general ball ache and even then you lose scale mode and arp functionality. The other option is to plug in the launchpad and use it to play the drum group and then the maschine hardware is pointless cause you can do everything on the keyboard. Is the jam the same way?

1 Like