Maschine MK3 and Kontrol Mk2

Hey folds, does anyone use their Komplete Kontrol Mk2 knobs to control macros/instrument racks in Ableton? Has someone made a script or a Max For Live device that can do this automatically (presumably when using MIDI mode on the keyboard, so that all the other transport/DAW/KK plugin functionality remains)?

Itā€™s not possible Iā€™m afraid fella thereā€™s some threads about it over on the native instruments boards, no easy way to sort it either as far as I could make out so I ditched the komplete keyboard and got a launchkey makeā€¦ you can do it manually on a per project basis but automatic mapping like blue hand control just wonā€™t workā€¦

1 Like

Looks like in the intervening years it has become possible.

For anyone reading this who is interested, I set it up in a couple of minutes no problem, just took me a little while to figure out what to do and to make sure the folders and UserConfiguration.txt settings were correct. Got all the relevant in the slightly out of date video linked here.

The short version:

Navigate to your User Remote Scripts folder. Itā€™s not in the User Library, itā€™s in a very particular place. Info how to find it here.

Create a subfolder called ā€œKK Macroā€ or whatever you want to call it.

Copy the existing UserConfiguration.txt file into your new subfolder.

Edit UserConfiguration.txt so that ā€œEncoder1: -1ā€ through to ā€œEncoder8: -1ā€ instead read:

Encoder1: 14
Encoder2: 15
Encoder3: 16
Encoder4: 17
Encoder5: 18
Encoder6: 19
Encoder7: 20
Encoder8: 21

These are the default MIDI CC mappings for the Komplete Kontrol Mk2 keyboards.

Then go into Ableton and in Preferences - MIDI, pick a new Control Surface slot and select KK Macro (or whatever you called it) which will now have appeared on the list.

For Input and Output select the equivalent Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2 Port 1 - whichever one outputs MIDI, not the DAW control port. I donā€™t have mine plugged in, so I canā€™t give the exact name off the top of my head.

Voila - now the first eight pots of the keyboardā€™s MIDI mode control whichever macros are contextually appropriate for Ableton.

You need to also run the standard Komplete Kontrol script in another Control Surface slot to be able to use all the standard Komplete Kontrol and DAW control functionality of course. The only downside of this method is that it takes up two Control Surface slots, but for me thatā€™s no drama.

Havenā€™t yet tried mapping the buttons or macros 9-16 yet, but technically it should be fine. Eight is enough for me for now. Canā€™t believe itā€™s taken me five years or so to be bothered figuring out how to do this!

5 Likes

try to sell mine as well. Great hardware, much potential, most potential wasted

Anyone using the Maschine Jam as extension for the plus or mk3.
I completely ignored the jam, but it looks like it would open the mk3 more up, having a nicer mixer and pattern/scene overview. Plus a better step sequencer.

Just wondering how long it will run on mac in future, since itā€˜s a legacy product

1 Like

I used one for a while with a mk3, if you can pick it up cheap itā€™s a worthwhile piece of kit, like you a said the extended mix and scenes view is super niceā€¦ also I really like the ability to strum instruments using the touch stripā€™s and it made for very organic sounding beatsā€¦ iirc I think it bugged me a bit that both controllers followed the same selected bank which I think was a bit of a missed opportunity, I would have liked to have been able to lock one or the other to a bank and then mess with another indepentlyā€¦

2 Likes

thatā€™s a shame yes. Same with maschine and komplete kontrol keyboards.

1 Like

Can you assign different 3rd party VSTi to different pads? Example, play Serum from pad 1, Hive from pad 2, etc etc?

1 Like

Yesā€¦ each pad can be what ever you need.

Thanks for reviving this thread!

The caveat is that vst3 support is still not 100%, so sometimes some plugins wont loadā€¦

So, is maschine mk3 still worth getting in 2023? Itā€™s 7 years old now.

1 Like

The controller is still very good at what it does. The question is whether it fits in your workflow or you want to fit in theirs. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m about to sell mine even if I still think itā€™s a beautiful piece of hardware with very good pads. I have moved onto other things.

1 Like

I think so. I bought my 3rd on 4 months ago and use it all the timeā€¦mostly to sequencer external synths.

2 Likes

They go for about 350 euros here secondhand, I feel thatā€™s a very good price for such a streamlined ā€œgroove boxā€ workflow. Imho if you focus on what Maschine provides as-is, instead of comparing it to other brands and machines, and what is missing, and you click with the workflow, you should be (very) good.

3 Likes

I got a Maschine MK3 second hand for about Ā£280 and it does an awful lot for the money even if you use the stock effects and a handful of bundled synths and expansions. Many VSTs support the NKS format which means you can browse soft synth presets using categories and tags and many with audio previews.

The workflow is not without its quirks but it can be a very quick and fun way to make music and it really works without needing to look at the computer screen.

I just picked up an old Push MK1 and previously owned a Push MK2 and I can honestly say the integration between software and hardware is better with Maschine. They were designed to work together and it shows. If you can accept the limitations then there is a lot to enjoy.

2 Likes

itā€™s amazing at what it does!
I love it

3 Likes

Same here. Maschine (mk3) reminds me much more of the classic grooveboxes workflows like the Rm1x, compared to Push (had both, never clicked really)

There does seem to be a trend away from some of the more expensive devices being updated on a regular pattern (eg every 3-4 years). Iā€™m wondering if Covid and the state of things financially have changed how companies are approaching new devices. Not just because people arenā€™t buying as much, but if you think about it - one device every 10 years or so has more profit baked in over chasing marginal gains in an incremental upgrade every 3-4 years.

Interestingly, NI actually did a bunch of ā€œhow toā€ vids on Maschine about a year ago, and it would be odd to do that and then release a new Maschine. Like the APC, the Push and the Maschine Mk3, it looks like these are the evolved versions of an initial MK1 prototype and while they sell well there is no real reason for a revamp. The other thing to note with NI is that I get the feeling their focus is on fixing issues with software. While for the most part Iā€™ve found it good, it is obviously running on an older platform, and Iā€™m guessing revamping HW wouldnā€™t change much in terms of what it can do or access. In terms of the bundles I think they are still best bang for buck, even with the issues mentioned. Others have a more solid technical platform but few bring the sounds that NI brings to the party.

2 Likes

Just jumped back into the maschine ecosystem, picked a mk3 for 330, and the unofficial remote script which to my surprise is better than anything n.i have managed in all of maschines lifetime, I highly recommend grabbing it if you are an Ableton user, Iā€™m about to offload my push 2 because itā€™s basically just a glorified pad controller the way I use it and I barely ever use any of its other functions let alone look at the screenā€¦

If you want the script itā€™s 30 bucks

5 Likes

Hi. Can someone help me with this. Does the Maschine Mk3 comes with a USB cable and power adapter originally in the box? Thank you.

Yes