Martial Arts

Yogasūtra was redacted before the Christ was born, so I don’t see where this theory comes from exactly.
It’s interesting to see that gymnastics originated in Greece around the same period, as far as we know…

British gymnastics is a modern thing, it’s said to have been created in 1888 by Wikipedia.

Maybe with the name of Yoga and modern exercises and asanas, but Indian meditation seems to be the origin of Qi Gong.

Didn’t know about that.

You might have heard that what Western people call “yoga” is actually Hatha Yoga, which is one of multiple branches of Yoga:

I first heard the British gymnastics theory from the founder of Dragondoor, the company that introduced kettlebells and Pavel Tsatsouline’s ideas to the West. He was of course talking about Hatha Yoga, not the other branches. His conclusion led to a bit of disillusionment and then taking up the study of qigong.

I don’t know enough Yoga history to agree/disagree with him.

I have heard that too.

Several Asian styles say they come from Bodhidharma. He is the supposed creator of Yi Jin Jing and Xi Sui Jing (that last seems to be lost in time).

The yoga I am practicing is called Iyengar, it’s a modern form that was made more simple and logical. It’s still very intense.

Anyway, this whole discussion shows me how much I have to learn about all this ^^

Yes but they are modern and are developed with that concept in mind.

A guy I know practices it and says it’s hard.

1 Like

If someone is interested, I had the opportunity to touch a REAL dantien (of hara), and it was from Dan Harden. He has a school of Aiki, very intersting the way they generate power, without “mystical energies”.

Iyengar, Ashtanga, etc. - all the styles found in Western yoga studios fall under the Hatha Yoga branch. I like Iyengar btw, as well as Viniyoga.

1 Like

Kids bring this up from time to time, and my parental approved response is, “if it comes to the point where you have to seriously damage someone to save your life, then it’s better that it’s you in front of the Judge than buried in a grave”. I don’t teach Krav By the way.

I didn’t get to choose, my dad was doing Goju ryu for a few years before I was born, and I’ve been doing it since I can remember. I did Judo for a few teenage years in addition to karate, but just wasn’t as much fun.

Cue streetfighter sound effects and dhalsim saying :fire: yoga fire yoga fire yoga fire yoga flame yoga fire :fire:

2 Likes

What are people’s opinions on Akido? The philosophy and it’s ties with Zen are its main interest(for me). However it seems to be deemed to be not very useful as self defence. Is this due to the fact my defence is not as affective as I wish to do no harm? Should I learn wing Chung after so I have a practice that I use if I’m really in a rut and have no choice?

If you’re interested in Aikido, do it.
Whatever your perception of it’s applications are will change as you learn it and you’ll find that it’s usefulness as self defence is far greater than you first thought.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Ive heard a lot of opinions about it. But I think it’s the art for me. It resonates with me from practicing mindfulness :slight_smile:

Your Aikido experience will depend on who is teaching and who your training partners are. I tried a few dojos and it’s not for me. However, I would make an exception if we’re talking about Bruce Bookman’s dojo, because Bookman has a background in both western boxing and BJJ, and has spent decades incorporating lessons learned from those other arts into his Aikido classes. He seems sincere in his mission to make sure his students practice against skilled boxers’ punches and are comfortable with ground grappling. Also, he and Ellis Amdur worked out a system for jo (the Aikido staff) incorporating ideas from koryu bujutsu (old Japanese war arts) so that people who practice that jo system can use a broomstick or other available stick-like implement on the street if needed.

Taikyouku Budo is a modern art that began as a re-imagined Aikido, presented by Ellis Amdur to a particular Aikido dojo by request. Amdur re-imagined Aikido as 5 vectors, like the numbers of a clock, and introduced some other innovations, like the Chinese Six Harmonies (jin and dantian/“the suit”). That dojo ended up rejecting Amdur’s concepts, but some members adopted it and branched off to their own school. They gave it its present name instead of Aikido because it was deemed to have evolved into its own art. Today, TB incorporates grappling in all ranges (Aikido uses arms-length grappling, not body to body like Judo and Sumo), strikes from the shoulders, hips, etc. They started working in the Amdur-Bookman jo routine but it’s an ongoing process. Anyway, TB training often includes counters to wrist locks, arm locks, etc., counters to counters, and controlled improvisation which starts with “uke” attacking “tori”, “tori” applying technique to “uke” (like in Aikido), then quickly morphs into uke attempting a reversal or other counter on tori, tori responding, etc. Training also includes sumo-like standup grappling like one game where two trainees fight to achieve double under-hooks first.

1 Like

Very informative thank you :pray:

You’re welcome. Here’s some relevant links:

Bruce Bookman
https://www.tenzanaikido.com/index.shtml

Taikyoku Budo (website might be a bit outdated but I do know they’re still active)
https://taikyokumindandbody.com/

1 Like

For me the only reasons to study a martial art should be that you like it, enjoy it and so, that the instructor is good (in many aspects, good teacher, good person if it´s possible), and that the style is not a scam or marketed as what is not.

For example, if you want to study Aikido, I´ll search for a serious style or instructor, there are a lot of pseudo Aikido there. And then I would never think or believe in it´s theoretical approach to a real fight or effectiveness, I´d only train and get better. Maybe it could help in a situation, but if your goal is not Aikido but self defence, better go to an MMA gym.