Manually gating audio with trigger buttons

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah that sounds like it :smiley: This machine… there are always about 500 ways to do things on it. Thanks, I’ll give it a try. It’d be great to avoid connecting another controller just for this.

1 Like

Actually it works^^ feels like tweaking bread dough though :joy:

Haha, your hands must be much more nimble than mine :smiley:

Thanks for your help fellas. Couldn’t figure out how to get the best out of this insane/genius machine without this place.

1 Like

The general rule around here is never to give up on OT solutions unless @sezare56 says it’s not possible, which rarely happens… :grin:

1 Like

Just had a test with scenes, it’s pretty fast, if you use two adjacent scenes you just hold A and bounce between the two with your index and middle finger to mute/unmute.

5 Likes

I’ll remember that :wink:

I must have nearly given up on it at least 5 times so far and in the end it was always capable of doing what I wanted it to (although not in the way I expected). It’s been a rollercoaster couple of weeks for my brain figuring it all out, but definitely rewarding :slight_smile:

1 Like

If amp vol is 0, unmuting/muting one scene that pulls volume down to - 64 should be enough, because when the scenes is not active, the track is audible and when the scene is unmuted, the track is inaudible.

Ahhh yeah I didn’t think of switching between scene presets - I was just enabling/disabling with the A/B buttons. Always more than one way to skin a cat with this thing and it sounds like that might work out in most cases. Will give it a try :smiley:

There is another solution : play your sample with an saw lfo on start, sync mode.
Play the track trig. That way you have a free hand to use the crossfader.

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll try that. Nice to have three possible ways to achieve this now and learn different bits of the machine while i try them out :smiley:

It’s about 3x faster than muting/unmuting scene, feels a lot more playable.

Stuttering ongoing audio sounds like a freeze delay duty

Not if you want to do it in an irregular rhythm. I still want to use freeze delays, LFOs etc. for regular 8ths/16ths etc. but I also want to be able to tap out different rhythms manually over nice evolving samples/incoming audio.

Use the same simple method as I described earlier

Cue the track(s) you want to process/gate manually, then route the cue outputs to the Thru track’s inputs (Caution: don’t cue the Thru track: instant potentially dangerous feedback). Also works as desired

You don‘t have to use delay control mode though - if you lock the delay time and turn delay send to 0 it will repeat the delay buffer, so you could use a scene with send = 0 and any delay time for delay buffer stutters.
Use multiple adjacent scenes to switch between different delay times.

Cheers both. Hadn’t thought about the possibilities for routing. Lots of options :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Resurrecting this old thread! Haven’t used the octatrack in a while. Didn’t remember that there is no GATE setting when pressing the buttons like there is on an SP404 or MPC. For example if I press a button for 1/8th of a second or 1/2 a second I will get the same result. I know I can go in and plock the hold/release settings but it’s really nice do this on the fly.
Has anyone ever found a workaround for this??