Manual slicing question

So I’ve been making slice grids for three years but never got into manual slicing.

The manual claims that slices can overlap each other, but I can’t figure how to make this work - the play cursor must be outside an existing slice for Add Slice Here to appear. I can do that all right, but isn’t there a way to designate overlapping slices?

Thanks

Not in front of the OT but can you not move slice start and end points? Create slice outside of previous one, then adjust.

I can, but it won’t allow me to set a new start point unless I’m outside the boundaries of an existing slice.

Maybe it’s something obvious, but I can’t make it work. It’s not that big a deal I guess, but the manual states that slices can overlap, and damned if I can figure out how.

overlapping slices and adding slices are 2 different things. changing the endpoint of one slice does not change the startpoint of the next slice. use the add slice command in the slice menu to add another slice, or start out with too many slices and delete some or…

OK: let’s say I have an 8-bar sample. I want to have one slice comprised of bars 1-4, and another slice comprised of bars 2-6.

Obviously, they overlap. Is that do-able, and can someone kindly explain how to set the start and end points of the second slice?

Sorry, I keep trying but am not getting how it’s done.

[ul]
[li]add your first slice[/li]
[li]move the playhead beyond the end of your first slice[/li]
[li]add your second slice[/li]
[li]adjust the start point of your new slice with knob A[/li]
[li]adjust the end point with knob C[/li]
[/ul]

in your example you could just as well slice grid it to two slices and go in and change the start and end points of the second slice

2 Likes

This is what I was trying to say too, just create the slices where you can and move them to where you want them

Got it now - Thank you gents. :+1: Sometimes I need a picture drawn for me :dizzy_face:

This is “topic revival day” for me today.
Is there a way to quickly manually add a slice directly next to the previous one (so the end point of slice A is the start point of slice B) ?
Currently, I need to move the cursor outside the previous slice, add a slice, then change the start point. I find it cumbersome, and lacking precision. Am I missing something ?

I guess there is no other way. How can you be sure that you’re not missing a spot between two slices ?

When you slice manually, you adjust the start point first, then the end. At this moment, move the level button a little bit and you’re ready to add the next slice.

• you can have a huge precision by zooming with the second row of encoders
  • Fn + knob (level, start, end or loop) gets you to the next zero-crossing point.
  • when you do this a lot, you discover that it rarely matters a lot to get into insane degree of precision
  • with practice, it gets faster. But not as fast as using OctaChain. I use it only for third party irregular samples such as the Morphagene stems on free sound.
4 Likes

I’ll add you need to change view to LR if you want to get zero crossings points on both channels.

Checking start / end values.
Anyway, with manual slices, the most important is the beginning, no?

Magnetism with previous slice mode would be nice.

3 Likes

Indeed. In fact, there could be some kind of “duplicate slice” action that would simply duplicate the start-end interval right after the current end point. This way, there would only be the end point to adjust.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers. I’d love that when the cursor is at the end of a slice, you could hit “add slice”.

1 Like

Yes, I don’t know why you can’t create slices anywhere, as you can move slices anywhere after.

Once I put 16 slices with different lengths at the beginning, in order to play incoming signal with “tuned loops”.
That way you can make a 4 voices synth with 4 different inputs (radio for instance).

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean but that sounds interesting.

Well it’s topic related so : I used different pre slice length, for tuned looped slices, hence tuned sampling!

If I want to make a tuned synth with incoming signal as osc, whatever the tempo is, I use different slices, all placed at the beginning of the sample (yes, possible).

Ex : C = 674 samples, G 450 samples.
Slice mode.
Change LEN=TIME for octaves up (128 / 64 / 32 / 16 / 8 / 4 / 2 / 1)

Weird example, crossover between incoming signal and realtime sampling, pitch determined by slices. :loopy:

Number of samples.

Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

4 Likes

Ok I see, you grab pre-defined (small) portions of the incoming signal so you make pitched-loops.
That’s fun !

1 Like

New classical music :fire: