Manual availability and MKI vs MKII

I have a Monomachine MKI on the way (very excited!) and plan to print out a .pdf so I can have a hardcopy. I’d still like to get a proper manual one day though. How tough are they to find? I can’t find any history of one being sold so figured I’d ask here.

Also, I’ll be receiving a MK I version, anything thing out of the ordinary I should know about the MKI over the MKII? To me, they seem about the same.

Page 114 of the manual lists the hardware differences between the two versions. Other differences are listed throughout the manual.

Make sure that your MM comes with the correct power supply. The power supplies for Mk1 and Mk2 are different.

When you get your MM, check which version of the OS is loaded. The most recent version is 1.32B and can be downloaded from Elektron’s website.

I imagine that most people are happy with a printout of the PDF manual. If you find an original paper copy to purchase, do bear in mind that it might cover a previous version of the OS.

1 Like

Even with the official manuals I like to print out my own so I can write all over it while keeping the original in pristine condition. Haha

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m find with a printout of the .pdf, so no big deal., …been wanting a MM forever so :heart_eyes:

1 Like

LOL, I hear you…I’d probably do the same. :slight_smile:

the mkii is quite a bit different than mki.

mki is slightly larger, mkii allows you to use waveforms/wavetables for the basis of your sound, and finally, some mkii models will have the +drive which allows you to hold more kits/patterns/wavetables.

i worked my way up from a mki to mkii w/o +drive to mkii w/ +drive.

I like the way the MK1 looks. It’s bigness makes it seem more classic and special compared to the other Elektron grooveboxes. Someday after I’ve completed the Elektron collection, I’ll probably go out looking for an MK1

I worked my way down, had a Mk2 about 6 years ago, had a Mk1 a year or so ago, it was bloody lovely, but I caught a bug and had to sell to help fun an AK, which I have a feeling I will keep for longer. You never know though, Elektrons are a funny breed, I may yet have a second OT. Or a second MD. You just never know… And as Peter points out, make absolutely sure you have the correct power supply unit, the old one (Mk1) delivers AC into the main unit, the newer one delivers DC, like almost all external PSUs do. But only almost. I fried a Roland MIDI controller once like this. At least it was a) rubbish, b) cheap, and c) not mine. :slight_smile:

4 Likes