Malekko Manther, Mr. D, and BFF Grooveboxes

it’s a weird bugger though! i mentioned in the muff thread its like a kid who’s had a difficult upbringing that’s done good but still plays naughty from time to time. so many woke people never forgive.

2 Likes

I got one today and it’s seriously awesome. Super simple to use but so powerful, amazing sounds, great built in delay, motion recording that takes you to crazy places fast. The sequencer is great too!

Mine has no problems that I can see, I’m not sure why this has been slept on/bashed by some people. A really beautiful sounding looking playing synth!

Anyone else that has/played one have any thoughts? Any other fans of it?

4 Likes

i wonder when mrD n Bff are gonna come out? theyve been very quiet for ages on that front. I reckon Manther was a total ballache for em compared to Euro modules n pedals.

1 Like

Yeah, they might have been a bit burned by the Manther experience.

I still might pick up a Manther one day!

I always assume there must be a much smaller profit margin on competitively priced synths vs individual euro modules. but then you hear of indy eurorack companies having very slim profit margins so i havent a butchers really :smile:

Apparently there’s a new update just around the corner!

4 Likes

here it is - V1.2 :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m really happy to see this update ! Some bug fixes and some improvement seems to be a good balance. BTW, I don’t understand the difference between the ARM/Step record…

1 Like

I think Step Record works by holding a step and pressing a note, Arm Record lets you start the recording from the first step with a midi note and automatically stops the recording process after the last step. Sounds quite clever! :slight_smile:

Not sure I need this update but very happy to see it appear!

Love my manther!! Really glad to see updates! I hope they continue. It’d be awesome to see an arp added some day.

2 Likes

Envelope mod --> Wave Folder, Pitch tracking of the delay and a legato mode would be nice features too

2 Likes

I run mine through a moog mf drive which fattens it up a wee bit, plus has a nice filter.

I am considering the Manther but I wonder what is your user feedback after a while.
Beside, does it integrate well in a DAW environment?
Any alternative you would recommend?

I bought a Monologue in the end.

It’s great that Malekko are updating the Manther. I may still buy one if midi control of it’s parameters happens.

2 Likes

I have mine since 8 monthes and I just finished an EP with it. It’s not a revolutionary synth, but it’s a super expressive synth, easy to use and it has a huge sound. It’s pretty stable right now, there is still a bug when you switch from a pattern playing forward to a pattern playing backward but you can work with this bug. Plus malekko has a super customer service.
If you don’t mind paying 600€ for a mono osc synth, go for it, you’ll get a nice little synth with analog raw power.

3 Likes

I agree with all this. The motion sequencing makes this different than my other monosynths and is a special feature!

1 Like

You can get some lovely sounds out of it and it’s very hands on. I was going to sell mine but that’s just because pulsar is dropping. I’m using manther in a project now and thinking I should keep it.
There is a good video on the website going in depth which had a few useful tips where you can go wrong, for me the morph setting was causing me problems.
If i day with itnfir a few hours I’d suss it all out but inevitably get a nice pattern going and hit record etc.

1 Like

What is morph setting?

It’s a knob allowing smooth transition of a parameter. If you set the morph knob to 50% and open the filter, you’ll have a smooth opening rather than a quick one. If you set it 100% it will takes a long time to open, allowing a slow progressive mood. It also works for the step automation, allowing smooth transition from a parameter locked to another. Not an essential parameter, but it can be useful.

3 Likes