Making soft snares

Hey, would anyone know how to get that punchy snare that infinite bisous uses in his music? I know he’s playing drums but there’s something pretty unique to me about the way it sounds. And any idea how he goes about building a drum track?

What now? :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

ok, i listened to some tracks of that band. sounds like a normal (damped) snare drum, should be easy to find samples like that.
i think he just records some real drum sounds/loops into a sampler and goes on from there.

Yeah that’s what I thought from seeing his live set up, thanks

In the amp section on the Digitakt, try slowing the attack and shortening the decay and release times. Then use a high pass filter to remove the bottom end. Then finally turn the volume down and add a bit of reverb to create some distance.

2 Likes

A quick attack envelope to have the highpass descend into the sound is nice too! Keeps the texture of the treble, but cuts off the low end transient.
Careful with the resonance though, too much and it quickly makes things sound overly artificial.

3 Likes

This was really helpful! Would there be any factory pack samples you’d recommend for trying this?

Hmm, to be honest I’m not really familiar with the factory content of the Digitakt, I’ve been almost entirely using my own samples. Except the single-cycle waveforms, these are pretty nice!

I don’t know, if you want to see what each parameter does to a snare, I guess you could try it on a clean 909 snare. It’s a simple sound to (de-) construct; some clean melodic content in the bass/low mids, the higher frequency content it noise. See what happens to either component when you tweak the filter or the amp envelope. Maybe you can even manage to create your own with some noise samples and the single cycle waveforms!
Also, don’t be afraid to blend different sounds together and resample. Overdrive and reverb can add a lot of character too. Sometimes, when I found a sound I like, it’s nice to save five or six final samples with very subtle differences in pitch, phase, volume, drive, etc. of each “building block”.

Okay, I went off on a tangent a little. But uhm… yeah, the descending highpass attack trick is cool, it works on many occasions.

EDIT:
Here’s the waveform of such a 909 snare (top pic). It’s a very electronic sound, but contains most of what makes a snare. Think of the instrument itself, the clean impact comes mainly from the membrane of the drum (middle pic), the hissy sound is produced by the these wires (bottom pic).

So if you keep that in mind, you’ll surely come up with many useful sounds :wink:

1 Like

Wow, that could be a really useful YouTube video! Very insightful and gives me a lot to try. Just learning how to use the box now and had known about overlaying samples but this gives me a good application. Do you think it’s worth investing in any drum equipment?

Haha yeah, I hope you can make at least a bit of sense of it all, felt a bit like writing stream of consciousness :crazy_face:

And about the drum equipment; depends on the kind of music you’re making or performing. Money- and creativity-wise it’s always better to get to know one single instrument before buying buying buying buying. The Digitakt really can do quite a lot.

1 Like

To me it sounds like a real snare mic’d very closely, completely dry and dampened (treating the snare itself and hitting it softly). After that it’s probably been loaded into a sampler, maybe a little bit of down tuning, some filtering and maybe subtle pitch variations using an LFO.

Nice sound, reminds me of certain Air drum sounds. Like this for example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfX52BTLuyw

p.s. sampling is your friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t have anything besides some brush sticks but I’ve had trouble finding good samples I could apply for a vibe like the artist I mentioned. Any good recommendations? But yeah the DT has really blown me away on the sounds and layers it can create. Such a good time messing with this thing!! strong text

Yeah I really like Air too! Thanks for your input! Do you think you’d know if he sampled for the song https://youtu.be/RbP0YD9Q88Q

Just curious as to how to think about adding these snares on the DT and a good workflow since I’m really new to percussion and sampling!

The California Drums pack is pretty good… hella snares. Lots of studio sounds. Out of the box they are pretty good, but with compression and some overdrive and other tweaking and a resample… pretty nice building blocks