Make Noise Strega

It’s a bit of a headscratcher :smiley:

But!

Once I’ve gotten over trying to grok each part and thinking that there’s a karaoke delay in this thing, just experimenting and going with it has been supremely rewarding. I think you’re gonna really like it. Cortini talks a lot about emotionally evocative sounds, and I think this has a lot of those.

3 Likes

All jokes aside I’m having a blast with it, so far I’ve been messing with processing external sounds through it. Next step is figuring out how to use the dc-coupled outputs of this ultralite mk5 to hit up that 1v/oct input.

New STREGA user here :smile:
Very cool device for processing mono sounds! pity it doesn’t have stereo I/O :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Time for a second Strega? :rofl:

4 Likes

Too expensive! :upside_down_face: !! i will use an external stereo delay or any other stereo FX unit, but I wonder why they choose to make such a creative unit without stereo capability.

2 Likes

I can confirm that STREGA works flawlessly with the Ripcord 15v adapter :+1:

6 Likes

Has anyone had any luck calibrating the Strega with Ableton’s CV Instrument?

I’ve been using a Korg NTS1 with my 0-coast. I figure you can’t go wrong for the price, especially with the amount of custom stuff you can load on there.

Tried something a bit more ‘ambient’ than I would normally, with the Strega being sequenced with the OT via a CV.OCD midi to cv converter. All the sound is from the “strega tones” blended with the “time experiment”.

6 Likes

Got a Strega and then an 0-coast and 0-control recently. Loving it so far!

Been trying the Strega out in various ways but its all over this with guitar and piano back through it as well as the main background of 0-coast through the Strega sequenced on the 0-control.

14 Likes

This is lovely. Nice stuff.

1 Like

Ive been looking for something to pair with my 0-coast and given my love for strange sounds and drones this seems like the perfect candidate.

The caveat being that I already own a Lyra-8 it feels like the Strega is a more tameable, semi-modular version of the Lyra-8 that is capable of doing short notes and functioning like a ‘normal’ synth.

Any Streta owners have thoughts on this?

@brucegill has everything you just mentioned…

1 Like

this is great bro :heart:

2 Likes

There’s similarity between the Strega and Lyra for sure. I’m having much more luck getting the Strega into a track though! From using it as a straight delay, a sort of fucked tape delay with warble, an oscillator, a drone and a lovely sort of waves sound with the filter modulating.

I love the Lyra but can never get it into anything without it being all encompassing. I like playing ot on its own, more than recording it! I went to sell it but it got damaged in transit so it’s back with me now - but to be honest, I just got the switch to replace the buggered one, and I think it’s on the block now. It can go. I’m getting the noises I want out of the Strega.

Edit- obviously your not getting 8 voices though!

The Strega also works so well with 0-coast it’s almost a crime not to get it lol. Verdict is still out on the 0-control I got to go with them. Unquantized pitch is a pain in the arse to be honest. I’m running it to a ZOIA to quantise the pitch and send it back out to the 0-coast and Strega.

This is totally different direction from the link I put up a few posts. But the Strega is doing the waves noise and the bouncing ball sort of thing - with the 0-coast running through it.

7 Likes

Thanks man!

1 Like

Beautiful sounding track. What did you use to sequence all of this with? Digitakt?

Yeah I found that too, it’s really what ended up pushing me over the edge and buying a Eurorack case for utilities for my semimodulars, so I could get a quantizer (intellijel scales, which is awesome). But that is quite an expensive way to go about adding that functionality!

3 Likes

Haha. Yes, I think Make Noise know what they’re doing there. After getting the 0coast, Strega and 0cntrl all I can think about is starting a skiff case :grimacing:

Thanks @holofonze. Much appreciated.
So the last one was Keystep > Digitone for keys sounds on x3 tracks and a snare sort of sound on the 4th > Digitakt for the bass and two more drums > 0-coast for synth line that’s a bit loud at 30sec > Strega is patched into the 0-coast to get that sort of bouncing noise (can explain that better if you want) and then the main wave sound is the Filter sweeping with the Time set very long to use the noise that comes from that chip.

I’ve been trying to get overbridge working for me but gave up and recorded it as a performance so to speak, as a stereo file.

2 Likes

I can’t remember if I’ve already posted these but here are some videos of me rehearsing with the ‘Make Noise Easel’ with Empress Zoia, Echostation and an EHX 25000 looper.

I really do like the Strega but it’s a bit all or nothing for me (at least so far).