Make Noise 0-coast

As said, I think it’s the most interesting semi mod out there. But…

This is my problem. However hard I’ve tried (and I did) I cannot get down with its sound. Regrettably, because it’s a fantastic, well thought out package.

I agree, but the 0-Coast is much more. West-coast style tones are not neccessarily bleeps and bloobs, even if a couple of artists think that’s just the purpose of it.

IMO west-coast sounds are quite different and can be very beautiful, because instead of subtractive synthesis we create the complex out of the simple. It’s just the other way around. As an example, there are formant like sounds hidden, if we apply audio rate modulation to the wavefolder … very musical.

2 Likes

this was one of the things I liked the most. It really is super snappy. and it often sounds very natural imo, almost like physical modelling

3 Likes

Yep, I’ve got an OT as well. For some reason I haven’t fed the 0-Coast a whole lot to the OT. Will be another thing to try out in the near future.

I have to admit I can be a bit impatient with gear sometimes, but I’d still say I’ve given the 0-Coast enough of an opportunity. However, compared to almost any other piece of gear I have, the 0-Coast hasn’t been a huge source of happy accidents - and since I am only a music aficionado, those happy accidents are really important to me.

One thing my 0-Coast has had going against it the whole seven months it’s been in my possession is that I bought it together with a Monomachine mk2+, so it’s safe to say the MnM has gotten more love from me than the 0-Coast…

I’m not a huge fan of the nasally sound of the 0-Coast but it does a lot more than that. I was considering selling it until I got the A4mk2 which really brought the 0 Coast to life with cv p-locking and although its meant to be West Coast, combining it with a filter sometimes doesn’t hurt. You could also achieve p-locks with a beat step pro or something.

3 Likes

Indeed : I like to put 0-Coast out into A4 ins and use this as an oscillator on a track, that I also use to trigger CV gate+pitch on 0-Coast.
With this, you can not only use A4 FX, but also the filters and the overdrive, as well as envelopes and LFOs…

0-Coast :heart_decoration: Analog 4

:slight_smile:

12 Likes

0-coast is awesome, especially for plucky and percussive sounds at least for me that’s where it really shines.

I admit the nasaly timbre of it’s core sound annoys me more than I’d like but I still can’t bring myself to sell it cause I just love them contour and slope generators.

Running anything through filter/s is never a bad thing :nerd_face:
The nastiest bassline I’ve ever done went thru 4 filters. Pro-1+Ms20m->A4->OT->blatant self promotion->

0-coast is in there too playing that plucky arp that’s to loud in the start and end of clip.

2 Likes

The main riff at the end of this song is pure 0Coast:

The main melody throughout is the 0Coast but tweaked out hard with FX and such.

3 Likes

0 coast is tough because it adds harmonic content when we’re so used to taking it away (via filter)… you almost have to treat the overtone, multiply, and balance inputs like you would cutoff freq/resonance, I think, to tame the harmonic spectrum over time + the dynamics mimics a vactrol instead of a straight vca, so that can add even more high overtones there as sounds increases in amplitude.

2 Likes

oh yes and when I had one I loved the BASS sounds, still have a track with just such a nice bass tone going through it.

I love the way 0-Coast interacts with DFAM, sometimes I use both for 3 OSC synth patches and take advantage of the 0-Coast envelopes and DFAM filter, best of both worlds…
Also sequencing it with Korg´s SQ-1 is instant fun

4 Likes

Been using the 0-Coast for a couple of years now, still find surprising uses for it and have been able to combine it with a bunch of different kit. Really haven’t yet found anything that it doesn’t go well with. Have used it both in a MIDI setting and with CV/Gate.

Few videos you can check out if interested.

11 Likes

This is great, love the fx as well.

Cheers Donovan! I have been very impressed with the Strymon effects. The TimeLine is really flexible.

1 Like

The 0-coast is packed with a lot of sonic possibilities if you keep pushing it, but I wasn’t able to integrate it in the type of music I make—R&B-tinged tribal stuff. I ended up selling it along with my Digitakt and bought an Octatrack MK II instead to pair with my Nord Rack 2. Sometimes I miss it , but couldn’t be happier with my current setup.

Forgot to note that the 0-coast paired with a Memoryman is $$$ for lush sounds!

1 Like

Ive had it for over 2 years now, and while I grew dissatisfied with its quirks early, I have since come to love it.

Aphex Twin used a DPO on Circlont14. DPO is basically just the 0-coast oscillator with another more simple oscillator for fm. If you put it through a filter it makes for a perfectly capable, not all that wonky bass synth.

I use it mostly for percussion. It makes excellent slightly weird mallet-y sounds that I enjoy.

On its own it does not work as “the” monosynth in most setups.

1 Like

The dpo is much more than that, with the follow circuit, linear and expo fm bussed both ways, different wavefolding parameters, 6 waveforms out (vs 2), ability to have one be an LFO (and 2 sync modes), with voltage control on all of that.

3 Likes

Well obviously, but the wavefolder sounds very similar.

yeah there’s a reason why it’s $100 more than the 0-coast.