Main Out Volume Rule

Hi buddies,

I would like to know if there is a rule for the volume of output on an analog mixer (OTB) is it necessary that the most peak is at 0db? Or is it to taste?

Cheers <3

Are you talking about how loud your mix should read at the converter? So long as you keep it from clipping you are fine, just realize that analog mixers aren’t entirely linear and will saturate at different frequencies as you get louder. It will also soak up your transients a tad. What mixer are you going to be using?

2 Likes

I Use Mackie VLZ3 1402.

i heard (no pun intended) that leaving 2 or 3 dB headroom is recommendable … all the further compressions you may have… wav mp3 soundcloud youtube etc may start some weird artefacts … i have no idea to be honest : )

Depends what you’re feeding really, some convertors don’t react well to being driven at close to 0, same with mixers if you’re feeding into FoH or some dodgy club mixer. You should always be well away from the red, don’t hover just under it.

2 Likes

From manual:
“Thanks to the 1402-VLZ3’s wide dynamic range, you can get a good mix with peaks flashing anywhere between –20 and +10 dB on the meters. Most amplifiers clip at about +10 dB, and some recorders aren’t so forgiving either. For best real-world results, try to keep your peaks between “0” and “+7”.”

3 Likes

Ha Danke ! Very Usefull.

1 Like

It’s also generally recommended to have your inputs hit at around 0 and not past +7…
You may want to check out pg. 3 “Level Setting Procedure” for correct input levels and the part on pg.9 “+4/-10 Level” if setting input levels for stereo channels…
http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/mackie/1402-vlz3/owners_manual/1402vlz3_om.pdf

I find my problem quite complex.

My Analog RYTM as well as my A4

Go in the entrance of the AB and CD in OT

They both stand out separately after being treated with a THRU Machine.

the AR stands out on Main Out
the A4 on CUE OUT

Each slice goes into a different track from my Mackie 1402 VLZ3 mixer.

I can not make the level setting procedure by setting 0db on the meter VU.
When I increase the volume on the AR and the A4 to get to 0db the inputs of the OT go into RED LED.

It is also difficult to adjust the gains of entry and exit on a dark trinity?

I’m going to be crazy

Turn up your main monitor output, not your instruments.

1 Like

The sound is pretty strong at home! It’s just a habit to mix to 0db on an analog mixer. That bothers me, maybe is useless;)

My guess is you do not need to run your mixer inputs so hot, that way you can bring up your monitor level without getting evicted from your home. :slight_smile:

I’ll stay at -6db on the VU-M That’s all

Thank you for your time !

OTs input levels are usually set from the source instrument master volume as you are doing, but its output levels are the master main and cue level in the OT mixer…

The inputs should usually make the OT LEDs go orange here and there but not red.
I found a trick to set OT input levels is to go to the noise gate in the control input menu and turn it up until your signal disappears(while monitoring from mixer dir @127 and using pattern that is about is loud as one would get), this will show you a db level value, I usually make it so the signal disappears at -14 to -12 to leave a little headroom…
Once you have done this don’t change the A4 or AR master volume…

I set the OT main and cue master volume at 18 or 19, as this makes a mixer dir setting of 127 send the same level signal out as in…
Thru machines decrease the volume more, I set track level to full, and also make up for it with the amp vol but I forget the proper value, I can check and post back later…

I assume your going into two stereo inputs with the OT main and Cue? If so you have no gain knob, so with solo engaged and OT playing a bunch of tracks, just press the +4/-10 button and use the setting that shows closer to 0db, probably -10…

Next if your not using the control room outputs, you may want to learn about them as it will allow you to see full signal levels from the meters with the mixers main volume at full, and you now have a separate volume control to send signal to your monitors…

If this is all to much don’t worry about it as long as nothing is in the red or sounds clipping, but check back later as it should make more sense the more you deal with this stuff…

2 Likes

This is the most underestimated part I feel. :thup:

1 Like

I usually drop my mixer down to around -02 or -06 db. I run the mixer into my soundcard and this never really fails.