Made on Model:Samples only

Here’s a track I made with only the Model:Samples, with heavy use of the new sample lock feature, as well as pushing the sequencer to go for polyrythms and different time signatures. All recorded directly from the Model:Samples, no mastering.

I’d love your feedback on this.

7 Likes

Very nice. Sounds good only using the model samples

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, no idea why, but it really seems to just glue all tracks together real nice. Some kind of mojo in that box for sure.

2 Likes

A wonderfully playful tune. Nice work!

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s very nice of you to say :slight_smile: I appreciate it.

1 Like

Some Mouse on Mars vibes, 100%

2 Likes

Sounds good! I love the M:S. It is my favorite drum machine/sample player. I do whole beats on it, and on another project it is now 85-90% of the production. Probably gonna grab a second one soon I love it so much. They nailed the UI.

2 Likes

I also got the feeling there’s something going on in the sweet spot department of the Model: Samples. One of the gripes with the Digitakt is that while it’s capable of sounding amazing, it’s not hard to make it sound absolutely shit if you don’t know what you’re doing. For a gent like m’self, who don’t know all that much about dynamics and frequencies and stuff, but do have some skill in just writing a song, the Digitakt is often counter-productive. I didn’t have that experience with the Model: Samples. I put samples into it, they just sounded good together, and I could focus on the writing.

Realising I’m off topic now, I do think this romantic notion of taming instruments where making even basic stuff sound good is a bit silly. It’s the same with the Tempest. Just getting a pattern to sound balanced and punchy is a challenge, and as a consequence, being able to just helm an instrument into sounding okay before you even get to talk about the qualities of the song, is a required skill.

Roland got this right with their later stuff, as did Pioneer with the Toraiz. They got other struggles, but you don’t have to know all that much about the technicalities on a mix to get a mix to sound good. So if you’re primarily a song writer, you can focus on the song.

1 Like