MacOS 10.13.2 has changed USB audio again!

The good news is, I seem to have better bandwidth / more channels with Overbridge on my Rytm MK1 and AK!

7 Likes

Hi @Purusha i wondering how you’re happy with 10.13.2 with all of your equipment ? all of it gets its drivers updated for High Sierra ? Every of your Plugins Work ? Every External Device work ?

Of course new OB will coming in February regarding the period of the release probably High Sierra compatible i guess…

10.13.5 will be around May 2018 - so from Dec to May, Apple have 3 OS update to make 10.13.3 normally at the end of january, 10.13.4 at the end of march… Probably the best moment to make the SAFE JUMP and CLEAN INSTALL is at the Beginning of February 2018… to get CLEAN install of the most stable High Sierra OS and Overbridge include in the process - then BACKUP and 10.13.4 and 10.13.5 as regular update.

3 Likes

Great tip on the fresh install date, thanks!

1 Like

:wink: you welcome !

Saves me of doing this over Christmas as I had planned already :wink:

1 Like

So far, i’ve only tested Rytm MK1, AK and Virus Ti.

Had to move Virus onto my Sonnet Thunderbolt to USB adapter. Electron devices are on Overhub. Mac is a 2013 cylinder style MacPro. Ableton and Cubase.

6 channels of 24 bit audio from each of the Elektrons.

Korg Kronos users are reporting that USB audio on that machine has been fixed.

4 Likes

That’s good news for Xeon owners!

I wonder if my 2008 octa would cope, with 10.13.2, now, and its usb 2.0 ports.

Running Mavericks because Sierra killed OB plug-in window synchronization, but have 24GB Ram and a PCI-E 6gbps SSD.

1 Like

Very interested to hear experiences of High Sierra and audio. I’ve been waiting for at least a 10.13.2 version to do a clean install and I suspect like many had thought about doing this over the Xmas break. I’m on a Xeon based cylinder MacPro too. USB has always been slow on this machine so we’ll see how OB goes via Overhub.

Obviously, my experience is no guarantee that it’ll work for everyone, but it’s looking like an improvement so far.

1 Like

They patched the security holes of High Sierra yet? That fiasco with the root login left me quite wary and will not be upgrading from 10.12 anytime soon…

I think 10.13.2 solved the root login issue.

1 Like

This release has around 20 security fixes. The root login issue was fixed in a previous version last week.

Looks like Apple have dropped a 10.13.3 beta to testers.

hi everyone,

I’ve got a fresh install of HighSIerra 10.13.2 plus updated OS on Overbridge but I can not make my laptop recognise OB! I already reinstalled uninstalled and rebooted many times. Nothing.

Do you have any tips on that? Cheers

I’d contact Elektron support.

1 Like

Hi,

forgive me for dropping in; I haven’t tried OB at all yet, so I am literally making a guess. But I had trouble with my Motu drivers after upgrading to High Sierra.

The reason was this subtle security feature that Apple added; the Motu driver installer is supposed to be updated to guide the user to clicking on the magic button, but I guess it hasn’t been. Perhaps the OB situation is similar?

Take a look at this link for the Motu solution instructions: http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/enabling-motu-drivers-high-sierra

… doing that finally allowed my Ultralite to function again.

Perhaps it helps with OB too?

1 Like

I solved the issue related to Overbridge and HiSierra this way:

First I went to Privacy Settings and I could not see anything happening on the General tab. So with the System Preferences still open I restarted my laptop.

When the windows started popping up again I was back to the Privacy Settings page and guess what, that was a little notice saying something was being blocked in the system, a protocol driver or something. I just had to click “Allow” right next to it then I restarted the system one more time.

When back on, I simply plugged the Analog Heat again and opened the Overbridge panel and bang, it was magically recognised.

Credits to @Olaf_Wolkenhauer for the tip on another HiSierra thread.

3 Likes

Unless you stop following Apple’s push to lock you in to their increasingly closed kindergarten you will always have these problems. I wait for at least 2 years after an OS is released before I update, and only if I have a real need for some new app or device that needs it. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Many of the changes introduced in recent OS X upgrades have little or nothing to do with optimising the computer’s performance and more to do with Apple’s strategies for dominating their target market- which is no longer the techy creative people but the dumbed down consumers of social media… This is why many serious users have gone back to Windows.

Remember those really cool (and expensive) cylinder -shaped Mac Pros from a few years ago? Guess what, they are already “legacy” and “not supported”.

What’s even more insane is that Apple now does not offer installers for any previous OS X versions, so if you made the mistake to update and need to go back to your previous OS the only option is to scoure the torrents for an installer.

Ultimately Apple want to force people to buy new machines as often as possible, when their machines can last for 10 years or more. The environmental cost of these policies is huge. They also do their best to keep people from using apps not made or approved by Apple, or from tinkering with the system because apparently we’re all too dumb to customise our own computers.

1 Like

Most of the issues with High Sierra can probably be resolved by disabling system protection (look it up). Jut don’t go downloading and running stuff if it’s not from a trusted source.

I’m afraid there’s a lot of misinformation in there Nagualizer.

6 Likes