MACKIE 1202VLZ4 any thoughts?

Thanks.

I still want to have basic eq as an option, if needed. And a few extra channels are welcome. So the Split mix isn’t for me.

Good to know you’ve had direct comparisons.

Cheers

Get the cheapest little Behringer that has the features you need.

Great Tip!

Switchmode, what mixer did you end up getting? I’m in a similar boat right now. Looking for a dub/dub techno setup style of mixer. Mackie 1642 is on my list of 4-5 potential purchases. Curious as to what you are using. Thanks!

1 Like

i got 3 mackie mixers

1402 vlz3
1604 vlz3
802 vlz4

i have slight experience with the newer models,
but i‘m struggling hardly with overspeaking amps/channels.

my 1604 is nearly fully plugged and i‘m using the first 8 channels over direct out directly into the interface. the overspeaking is much too annoying to me :frowning:

flexibility is great, but for high quality, hot level multichanneling i‘m not advicing mackie boards!

in fact i wouldn‘t use a mixer if i had no sends …

Right, and the use case of pre-fader sends is pretty small. You’ll mostly want to use post fader anyway. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Macjie VLZ mixer (if you need a mixer). They have a magic to them in how they mix the signals. Everything is clear and present compared to most everything else in their price range.

Inserts are unbalanced too so that may be why you’re experiencing issues with levels.

no level issues here,
i think u missunderstood …!?

Apparently I did :ooh:

by overspeaking - do you mean that channels bleed into each other? I though i have had some bleeding, but realized that some aux send were not quite silenced

No overspeak or other noise on my 1202VLZ4. Power conditioning and DI with ground lift for my guitar and bass has me dead silent. Guitar/mic from Voicelive3. Active Bass.

In addition, heat/synths/ableton(via interface output) on other channels and using the aux3/4 “mute” bus to send any channels I desire to Heat. Control room back to my interface for track recording in Ableton. Mains to the JBL NFMs.

Very flexible, loving it!

1 Like

I really wish the smaller mackies would have level leds. No level indicators is a bit of a problem for me in a live setup.

I instead got a 1642, which however is a bit to big for me in a live setup.

yes,
every pot is silenced!

even if i mute the channel i still hear them in the master and other channels …

this bleeding is getting more complex through sends and busses! it´s not only one of those mixers, it´s everyone i have!

I found an old Studiomaster Trilogy - more details here:

Doh! Sorry, I guess I missed that. :relaxed: Thanks.

I love my 1202VLZ4. I hope it knows it, and I probably don’t say it enough. Absolute workhorse.

1 Like

Loving my 1202VLZ4 too!What a sound/built quality combo!Also hooking up a Fethead on my mics has me dead silenced with the gain all the way down…

1 Like

This may be of interest to some people, sampling with the Octatrack via an 1202VLZ4.

I wanted to have ALT3-4 as a clean bus that I could send to inputs C&D of the octratrack, for sampling, via the direct ALT3-4 output jacks on the back.

However I found it incredibly frustrating tha as soon as a channel is put into MUTE/ALT3-4, both Aux 1 and Aux 2 Post fader sends are rendered silent, and only Aux 1 can be used if the Aux 1 master is set to Pre-fade send. Pretty useless in a performance scenario.

Having consulted the service manual schematics, I found that the first of the 4 parallel switches within each of the MUTE/ALT3-4 buttons disconnects the audio send to the aux’s and sends the signal to ground when the button is pushed.

On each of the Mono Channels I was able to bridge the relevant switch contacts with solder, and cut the trace to ground. Now both my post fade aux sends function whilst those channels are on the ALT3-4 bus! (I believe it would be possible to do with the stereo channels too, but the 4 mono channels were enough for me)

The ALT3-4 bus is then mixed back into the main mix as a control room source. All the while I have a clean signal going to the octatrack for sampling, with aux sends doing their thing!

I’m stoked I’ve been able to do this after learning a bit of basic electronics in the last month, and hopefully this info will be of some use/interest to some people here. I noticed some posts from 2016 complaining about the limitations of the hardware, so here is an easy fix.

If anyone wants more details I’d be happy to provide.

12 Likes

Nice mod…
I get around this by monitoring the OT’s inputs that I’ve sent alt3/4 into out of the OT’s cue outputs and into another channel, and then aux from there…

1 Like

Woah. I just reworked my set up and now have all outputs connected - I get saddened by that limitation. My work around and sample source is currently the control room out - which is identical to my main. Downside if this is that it doesn’t include alt3-4. nice mod!

1 Like