Machinedrum vs Digitakt

I’m fairly new to the Elektron world. Just wondering how similar the Digitakt is to the Machinedrum. Are they totally different animals? Is there stuff that can’t be done on the Digitakt that Machinedrum excels at?

Also, if anyone has links to their favorite machinedrum videos, please post them.

Similar machines…

Better and faster workflow on dt
Trig conditions on Digitakt !!!
So… go Digitakt :slight_smile:

Updates are expected,

1 Like

Yeah. I have a Digitakt and love it. Just wanting to learn more about the other Elektron boxes.

1 Like

I came across this video. Pretty awesome. Any good Machinedrum sample packs out there to feed the DT?

1 Like

They are very different - one is a sampler, the other is a synth. The MD is amazing. I still miss mine.

4 Likes

Is the Rytm the closest of the current generation of machines to the Machinedrum or is it just totally different from anything else?

Other than percussion and p-locks, they’re each their own animal. Sound character, jamming flow/interaction, and capabilities are significantly different.

1 Like

Cool. So you think the OG machinedrum is still relevant?

It will probably become even more relevant as fashions turn and it comes a classic.

4 Likes

I have had a Machinedrum for a year and a half. It is the non UW version. It is a great machine and really good for interesting sound generation. It is far deeper than I gave it credit for initially. I cannot imagine getting rid of it unless I was desperate.

Had a Digitakt. Fabulous machine. Really quick to use and easy to fathom. Replaced it with an Octatrack because I wanted something with more depth.

Comparison of MD and Digitakt:

Completely different machines in my eyes.

Obviously Digitakt is a sampler: It plays what you load into it and has some relatively straightforward ways of manipulating these sounds. It has a great sequencer that is more capable than the MD’s. Trigger conditions are terrific and you’ll probably knock up some great stuff relatively quickly.

MD takes longer due to its depth and potential. It sound quite electronic which I like as it contrasts well with other elements of the mix. If you want something that simulates other gear (909, 808 etc.) then you may well be disappointed as the drum synths that come with the MD, although apparently designed with some of these in mind, are not always easy to simulate. However, the sounds that the MD makes are valuable and worthy in their own right. Buying the MD inspired me to buy 3 more Elektron boxes.

I hope this makes sense, and helps out a bit.

Adam

5 Likes

Definitely. Thanks.

1 Like

I use both together.
DT is a better hub imo but I prefer jamming on MD due to its superior amount of modulation destinations for p-locks, I can get more unusual creative results with it.
they work great together though, DT on midi duties n main beats, MDuw on percussion n abstract on the fly techno loops.

DT is missing that extra bit of modulation capability on the audio tracks imo. it’s a bit rudimentary in that department, but it’s a brilliant user friendly hub.

Oops, sorry for my wrong answer

1 Like

I did a setup recently where the Machinedrum UW was almost being anything but a drum machine. Using its multiple outputs and GND-IMP and GND-SIN machines, I was sending triggers and little sine waves to Eurorack drum synthesizer module. I was using a lot of LFOs on the Machinedrum to add some variety to those triggers. The Machinedrum then took that Eurorack module as input and added LFO modulated gating and reverb to the sound. It was also live sampling that external input and glitching it up. I even expanded it to then send MIDI clock to a semi-generative MIDI sequencer (the Future Retro Zillion) which was sequencing a monosynth (Korg Monologue or Volca Bass, Roland A-01, etc) and taking the audio from the monosynth, filtering it, live sampling of it, etc.

So basically I had a west-coast free-form / semi-generative sound system that was sprouting from and back through the Machinedrum, using its multiple outputs, various Input machines (it’s got a really good filter for external input, I think), live re-sampling, etc, and using the MD as the mixer too. The lineage from the MachinedrumUW to the Octatrack became very obvious as I put this little setup together.

A bit of an extreme example, but something that demonstrates the depth of the Machinedrum. I don’t think the Digitakt compares. On the other hand, I think the Digitakt is much more direct and straightforward and has many new sequencer tricks that the old MD does not.

But the MD basically gives you 16 tracks you can do absolutely anything with. 16 midi sequencing channels if you want. 16 kick drums if you want. 16 combinations of just samplers and playback. 16 combinations of sampling, playback, synthesizing, external input processing, effects, controls. It’s awesome.

8 Likes

I shouldn’t have made this thread because now I’m looking at used machinedrums. Haha.

Please link to any cool videos you are aware of on YouTube.

3 Likes

I’ll try record a li’l jam of DT & MD tomorrow if I can get it together. Im sick at the mo so don’t hold me to that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s like a miracle that I never owned a machinedrum.
Huge fan of idm beats, GASing for it for years, never bought one.
Chose the OT + Norddrum2 combo

1 Like

Shoots. I’m gonna have to track down a MDUW when I’m off of gear spending probation

I’ve owned a machinedrum and Rytm and have come to conclusion that a small amount of modular synth modules in the percussion vein along with an Octatrack mk2 is the way to go. The sound quality of the modular stuff is very high end IMO, so you get that plus all the benefits of the Elektron sequencer with Octatrack.

1 Like

I’m hoping my Digitakt and an A4 will yield similar results. :slight_smile:

1 Like