Machinedrum vs analog rytm vs other? VI (a new hope MkII)

I think, with one sample bank(what you have with the non-+ drive) you should be able to fit your A4 drum samples on there.

I think both MDUW and AR have impulse machines to send triggers out

1 Like

Rytm mk1 prices should be coming down soon. Don’t know why it’s held out for so long. Maybe wait a couple of months. If buying used request multiple pictures of the screen so you don’t get one of the bad ones.

I would hate not having conditional trigs now that i know them. The more i use my digitakt the more i love it. Have been using it alone everynight but next weekend i move on to using it side by side with the a4 and really learning that to take advantage of song mode.

what do you a fair price for a used RYTM would be generally speaking?

At the moment $900-$1,000 USD.

Once Rytm MKII is out, it will probably be more of a $750-$950 market, depending on condition.

Yes, Rytm can send impulses to modulars, but it will not sequence MIDI, however.

Still, it’s a great machine. Another advantage Rytm has over MDUW is the project memory. 64MB per project vs MDUW’s 2.5MB per snapshot (similar structure to project).

if anyone knows anything about any diy +drive kind of thing that would be available still, that would be super cool

Someone has been posting about building one called the MegaCommand.

2 Likes

cool. thanks!

surely go for the immediate attraction … maybe pair with the Heat one day?

do you mean pair analog heat with MDUW?

I’m really close to deciding on the machine drum. If money was no object, i would get the RYTM, but it ends up being over $400 more for a used one, so the MD is less than 2/3rds the price if i can get this deal. I also, just checked out the page for the RYTM mk2, and it has sampling and cv, and if i was spending over $1k, i would be really frustrated by not getting those features.

Does anyone have Analog Heat? i already have analog compression and distortion, overdrive. what would make getting the AH worth it?

1 Like

MK2 will be $400+ more than currently slightly used MK1s so the circle never ends.
Trying to “save” money and buy inferior unit makes no sense unless you really want it. You will hit limitations much quicker and end up bummed about it.
Then again, you ask about the Heat on top of that so I’m actually guessing you are not sure what you want and here lies the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right! Spend the extra money and get what you want, otherwise you just won’t be satisfied with the gear you end up getting.

1 Like

ya i know. The thing is that I dont have a drum machine at all right now, and I wouldn’t be able to afford a RYTM mk2 without selling one of my guitars and using everything i have available. The reason the MDUW appeals to me more than everything else at this price range is that it seems like it is unique enough that I wouldn’t necessarily just want to get rid of it when I can get the analog drums of my dreams in the future.
Also, I do think I would like it. Is it really THAT inferior? Forgetting samples for the moment, the only other things that seem interesting to me at prices I can afford are maybe a Vermona DRMmk3, which would be cool i guess, but if i’m getting a standalone unit, elektron sequencers and stuff seem more interesting, or i could put together a real bare bones modular drum set up and just use my beat step pro for triggers.
I have been thinking that getting the machinedrum and spending some time with it would serve my purposes now, give me a drum machine to use, not least, and maybe i can learn enough that I’ll have a better idea what I’m missing with it.
Adding DIY eurorack drum modules to it as i go and using A4 for samples, etc, seems sort of like my best option to me right now.
I’m hoping that it will be something I will want to hold on to no matter what, even though I do love and would like some of that analog warmth and boom of the RYTM when I can afford it.
I dunno. I hope I’m not kidding myself that I would be satisfied with it. If I buy it, I’ll be meeting the guy on wednesday or thursday to pick it up. I have to really think about whether its worth it to go that extra step. Eurorack drums seem interesting since I’m already planning on building a bunch of modules to go with my lifeforms SV-1 and A4 anyway, but for my first and for the time being only drum machine, it doesn’t seem practical.

The reason I asked about analog heat is mostly cause someone mentioned running machine drum through it to fatten it up or something, and i was just wondering how it sounded. mostly just in comparison to analog stomp boxes for similar effects.

2 Likes

I’m gonna be honest- those words kinda hurt a little bit. The Machinedrum is AWESOME. I ended up pulling mine from the market because it is so wonderful, so functional, and sounds very good(and capable of doing SO MUCH)- and that’s BEFORE the sample capabilities of it- which, I was just playing around with the found sounds I loaded onto it, and it was HEAVEN.

I’m just thinking, the way you’re going about contemplating the purchase, I doubt you’ll really get a lot out of the gear you’re about to purchase because you’re not purchasing it with the right attitude- if you don’t respect the gear, you won’t be able to tap it to its full, awesome, sexy, bedazzling potential.

1 Like

Like I made this JUST using the Sine Wave and noise gate engine, just on the MD(with various effects from KP3+ and OT(mostly at the end)

The MDUW is the BEST- only lacking in microtiming, triggless trigs, and conditionals- but soundwise it’s fantastic, and it’s UI experience is fulfilling as hell.

5 Likes

Also, I will swear forever and ever till I die- that the MDUW is the sonic soulmate of the A4 they complement each other EXCELLENTLY

3 Likes

The MD is a great investment don’t worry so much about the extra storage +. When you fill up the MDUW you can transfer your data to a computer for safe keeping. You get 128 sequences and kits to save that’s a lot. The most important thing about the MDUW is the sound and what you can do with the it. Sample memory is tiny but the samples sound very crunchy and you won’t find that on any other Sampler. If you ever want to expand in the future the digitakt will make a great sidekick.

1 Like

ya I’m gunna buy it. I’m actually really excited about it. I just start second guessing myself when I hear things like “inferior product” and so on. Honestly the sample memory sounds like it will be enough for the time being too. I’m not going to be performing live with it, at least for quite some time, and i LOVE lofi, crunchy samples.

I had an idea. The thing that seems most interesting about modular drum setups to me are all these cool trigger modules. I have a beatstep pro and was wondering if it would be possible to hook it up to the machinedrum over midi and use the drum gates with trigger inputs on a pattern generator? sorry if thats a stupid question. wasn’t sure if it would only work the other way around, using the bsp to trigger the drum modules directly.

the tm-1 midi interface with turbo mode ‘on’ is highly recommendable although not necessarily essential.

makes sample transfer quite a brief and uplifting experience.

2 Likes

Oh! I missed that it was called an inferior product before you said it. I’m sorry.

Yeah, don’t concern yourself with that. It’s my favorite piece of kit :slight_smile: