Machinedrum tips for metal/rock

I bought a sps uw+ mkii yesterday. I’m wanting to use it in a rock and metal context to augment acoustic drums. I will mainley be working in song mode. Anyone have any tips for use in this type of setting . I want to get some pretty agressive and ambient sounds as well. Thanks to all and thanks to those that make this forum possible

Here’s a classic tip that might work for you:

7 Likes

Very cool. I need to watch that again and take notes. Also, I need to go on a hunt for patches

thanks guys. when you say search for patches is there a place to buy or share patches. I’ve been programming blast beats and stuff today. the right swing and tweaking nd combining snares helps. i really need to learn the machine and i have a tun of samples as well thanks for your help.

1 Like

I’m sure somewhere in the community there’s some proud designer that loves to share their keen knowledge. For samples, Elektron made a few sample packs.

Go there. Really cool stuff.
Justin realised 808 & 909 great quality patches

There’s great knowledge in those patches. Try to look how there’re built.

HavFun

2 Likes

I noticed that it specified UW on the pack details. Yet, it also says created with internal synthesis. I have the non-UW are these samples or are they patches?

808 have no sample, just synthesis and 909 has just hh and oh sampled, but it doesn’t matter, got the other instruments. I read on other thread that it won’t be a problem to upload the 909 to a non uw MD. You just won’t have the few cymbal samples.
If you have a doubt, contact Justin Valer he will explain it better than I.

1 Like

Thanks! You’re the best!

This thing is awesome. I’m already into nin land and with tweaking of the more natural kits and machines and building a kit of my own fuck with swing settings etc. There is no doubt in a short time I will be able to replicate the sounds of vintage and modern metal drum sounds. And then some of my own. I’m gonna run this thing through guitar amps and all kinds of outboard

To be honest I’m so sick of looking at a computer for music because I’m on one at work a lot. And last week i bought a refurbished and modded tascam 488mkii with 8 individual outs and this machine drum so I can dump into a computer later.

I don’t want lo-fi shit sounds and I’m not on a retro trip. just creative workflow and this set up is it. I’ve had more fun with my md in three days than I had in years with superior drummer. And I feel like it’s mine. Like I did something. Thanks to all

1 Like

I just bought one for this very reason. It’s definitely the perfect machine for alien industrial sounds.
I also plan to use it for metal (incl. blast beats). But I think I’ll sequence it from reaper for that, because my arrangements are so proggy that I’d probably use up an entire snapshot for one song :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait until some of the other “old farts” chime in with LFO tricks and so on. You can get more mileage out of a pattern than you might think. (Although if it’s proggy like time signatures etc., then yes you are right.)

Then try CTR-8P and CTR-AL. Evil laughter will bubble up from your soul :wink:

Lots more tricks etc here - http://www.musicbycatabolic.com/next-level-guide/

The MD is one deep box.

As far as using for reaper logic etc. Is there a editor program etc you could back up through sysx or a plug in editor I’m sure there are a few… I bought used no disc or manual just turbo midi and the md. I paid $700 last week and was offered $1k for it today.

1 Like

I think someone made a reaktor gui for it but I don’t think there is anything like a vst plugin for it.
As for sysex, just get the c6 software from the elektron site, it’s satisfactory for sysex dumps.

Maybe not news to you, but I was listening to some Ministry and remembered this thread and came across another thread about programming blast beats: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/programming-blast-beats.494009/

Some interesting discussion and drum tablature in there, which was interesting for me to consider since I usually program things with more of a groove. Since they talk about using lower velocity in that thread for quicker, more realistic hits, you should remember that the Volume parameter on the third page of every machine is what you’d want to alter (see also the ghost hits tutorial vid above). I would probably use the physical modeling machines or samples as well. Think I’m going to give this a shot over the weekend myself, so if I discover any useful tips I’ll report back.

There’s a Max 4 Live patch for the Machinedrum out there if you have Ableton Live Suite. I’ve made a Live instrument for it with an external instrument plug that gives you pretty easy control over all 16 tracks that I can upload if you like. But really, I would focus on just getting your hands dirty with the Machinedrum and learning it well. I’ve had it for years and I still constantly find new things it can do.

Yeah good call on the physical modeling sounds. My aim is to create as realistic a kit as I can, since the drums aren’t really the focus of my prog stuff, but do some live tweaking during fills/solos to make it get more wacky every now and then.

we got him, guys. he’s one of us now. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi,
Did you programed the md haters 2.0?