Machinedrum - Still relevant or a nostalgia piece?

This thread got me wanting to put together a demo of what the MD can sound like doing breakbeats. There’s a few samples at work here (vocals, a wooden windchime, snap patch from my Digitone) A little bit of ctr-al, lfo modulating the delay time on a few sounds, retrigs, another random lfo for pitch on toms, etc…Don’t judge too harshly, just put together about an hour ago.

6 Likes

Rytm and MD seem to have some inherent synergy benefits… The MD can sample and SDS the result to a rytm, the rytm has a nice analog comp for plugging the MD into… Should certainly pair em up one day!

OP: If you can, go for the mk II UW. I’m still kicking myself for skimping out and getting a mk I

2 Likes

The only thing I’d change about my UW is the faceplate. Think the non UW looks totally sexy.

First world problems haha

2 Likes

Here’s an ancient track of mine that is MD-UW only, except for the bloppy synth fx sound. Heavy use of UW resampling for glitch sounds.

Yes I know the low end is way too heavy. I wasn’t so good at mixing then :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/dietervandoren/dtr-glitch/s-MJ3Qt (private link)

3 Likes

I came to this thread for this answer

OP is a ridiculous way to look at making music.

I’m honestly dumbfounded.

2 Likes

That 's a very cool jam/method! When I got my MD mk1 it didn’t even have CTL machines yet :slight_smile:

What sold me was a live gig recording of Valve, I think playing on 2 MD’s. Sadly I cannot seem to find it now.

2 Likes

Yeah, i feel you. I think using the inputs of the elektron boxes has many uses but not for recording; for jamming and live use - great. And for keeping a small mobile setup without the need of a mixer.

Also when using the main outs you have access to all the effects, that´s nice.

I recommend something like Antelope Orion, 32 ins and 32 outs. Plus 32 more of each available via madi/adat.

Rytm is the killer since you can split those 6 outs into 12 whopping mono channels! That really eats interface channels though… :smiley:

I had my mk2 repaired at the end of last year as I damaged it in transit so seems they are still repairing them. I believe they are not repairing mk1 units any more as the parts are not available. When I had a faulty mk1 they did try to offer advice regardless though.

Not sure on the common faults thing. I hope not as I love my mk2, such an inspiring box! Would be all over a mk3!

1 Like

Parts are always available, they´re not using unique components - it´s just standard electrical ones that you can get similar ones at any electronics shop like Mouser and such. Besides the case and circuit boards and perhaps some custom microprocessor, nothing there is unique and difficult to obtain.
I think they always will repair them since it´s also good money; i just repaired my Rytm for about €75 and they just switched the whole board out. Guess they still have a good stock.

1 Like

I have 2 encoders knobs wearing out: knob E (the filter freq one…) and the large track selector dial. And I have had to get a power supply component/board repaired/replaced previously. This is an mk1.

1 Like

I can’t find the ticket now as they are migrating the software but I am pretty sure Elektron said they no longer repair mk1s - although they may have just been referring to the issue i had (seemed one of the DSPs had died as a result of crappy packaging when shipped second hand).

I’m sure independent repair shops can fix many common issues like encoders etc though.

2 Likes

just sold my mkII non-UW. there’s no doubt about it, it’s fantastic. has a unique sound and it’s immediately enjoyable to use. I just wasn’t using it in conjunction with other gear, so I was happy to pass it on to someone who will. but it’s still very much relevant.

Oh, that sucks. But unless it´s a catastrophic meltdown, as you say it can be repaired by a technician with enough soldering skills - or by a hobbyist given it´s not too advanced repair.
Encoders should be an easy fix.
Though i understand Elektron don´t want to repair things for all eternity, obviously they have enough to do with non-legacy products.

1 Like

Reverb prices on Machinedrums are cheaper than Ebay :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Machinedrum is still relevant for babies at least

5 Likes

i wish. i really wish to the MD. we didn’t became big pals unfortunately, even when i tried it. /:frowning:
sold it to tsutek a couple of months ago. he really likes the MD

1 Like

Relevant

Now all that’s left is the user name change :wink:

1 Like

I think the greatest hope for seeing a Machinedrum UW MKIII is me buying a MKII. I’m certain they will announce one right after that. :wink:

5 Likes