Machinedrum SPS1-UW X.10 Released [ Unofficial ]

I think a Machinedrum would be a great box to get you out of your slump. I cannot wait to get another one!

Did you unit actually die without revival? And where is it buried?

Thanks for the suggestions/solutions to my problem. I’ll let ya know what happens when I get to it.

Elektron sent me a new unit… that was YEARS ago.

The manual actually says that no ROM samples will be loaded after a soft reset. Are you saying that your X.05 firmware prevents this from happening? That would be cool.

@Dicky11, in case this helps you:

2 Likes

Yep! I’ve done this years ago. I’ll give it a go soon hopefully. Maybe tonight. Thanks dubathonic. I assumed all this upgrading firmware stuff was the culprit but your probably spot on here. I hope anyway. I just don’t like doing surgery on my baby much but I’ll take care of her. Pray for me. MD was my gateway into the Elektron world and I haven’t looked back. I have legacy OT and legacy AK. I’m set for life if these bad boys can last that long.

3 Likes

Can someone send me an invite to the discord?

The link in the thread seems expired.

PMing.

1 Like

I opened up the MD and cleaned all the connections and it is no longer stuck in the intro screen. Thanks, dubathonic.
And if I haven’t thanked Justin and the other guy enough(and I haven’t), thank you for one of the coolest, uniquest, generousest, funnest gifts I never even knew existed in the universe. And thank you to Mbang for building my megacommand. There should almost be a separate thread just for the “thank you’s”.

8 Likes

I bought my MD at the turn of the century, and have a request to the X.05 team. Can you implement 64 step sequences, using the two 1/32 LEDs to indicate which set of 16 your on in binary? i.e.
OO 1-16
OX 17-32
XO 33-48
XX 49-64

This would make me stop having to deal with the fact that all my MK1 elektron gear has 64 step sequences, other than my ancient but much beloved MD. I actually asked Daniel Hansson directly to consider this years ago, but he wouldn’t. Can you brilliant hackers pull this off?

2 Likes

they have done this for mk1s. but only in conjunction with MCL.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!
I have a max/msp patch that cleverly modifies the machine settings using sysex and cc.
What midi message can I turn on/off the “tonal” setting?
Thanx

and I also noticed that GND-PU is not called by 06 sysex.
SYSEX assign
$5b %0000aaaa %0bbbbbbb
%0000000c %000000dd
$f7
where 0bbbbbbb:

00 GND-EMPTY
01 GND-SIN
02 GND-NS
03 GND-IM

04 GND-SN-PRO
05 GND-SW
06 GND-PU - it’s not ok

Out of curiosity, does MCL implement its own sequencer internally and just triggers MD sounds via MIDI? (But in a way which feels integrated as it uses the trig buttons etc)

Yes, all the sequencing Is handled by the MC. The implemented UI integration of the MD makes it seem like it is one device.

2 Likes

I’m truly in love with the X.05 firmware.

Here’s a dub where I limit myself to one machine again (with some help from a spring reverb). A simple two-chord progression based on “Native Woman” by Gregory Isaacs, made possible by the polyphonic tonal mode in X.05.

It’s a simple I-ii progression, Cmaj to Dm, but the notation is done in quarter tones (24-tet), so for a major chord you would enter your base note and then use intervals of:

+8, +14

… and for the four-note machines you can add an octave at +24 or if you’re feeling spicy, create a 7th chord by using +22 instead. The rest is just classic Machinedrum madness. I know a lot of people use the MD for glitchy stuff, but I think it can excel at more realistic sounds too with enough care.

18 Likes

Nice work. I think the silver machines excel at Digital dub / dancehall style stuff. That’s why I re-invested in them (with the help of a small mortgage :wink: )

3 Likes

so good

1 Like

I’m a newb, is there a step-by-step walkthrough of how to send the update via SysEx Librarian somewhere? I have a MkII UW+ and TM-1, and I’m on Mac OS Monterey (M1) and would love to try out the new X.05C!