Machinedrum SPS1-UW X.04 Released [ Unofficial ]

:drooling_face:

1 Like

i appreciate things like this being asked for but thereā€™s additionality and bug fixes to the original OS, then thereā€™s writing a new 2.0 OS from the ground up (conditional trigs, micro timing and new machines etc). i remember reading a while ago that thereā€™s just not that much memory to play withā€¦

having said that they used to say any new OS was impossibleā€¦ yet here we are.

4 Likes

My machinedrum came with a megacommand but i have never used it or before. does anyone have resources on how it works in general?

Pretty sure the point of this firmware was mainly to reduce bugs and increase functionality with the MegaCommand running the MCL firmware, which is a separate Arduino Box of midi tricks which allows micro timing, conditional trigs, per track scale among other things, like being able to load/mix and match any track from any pattern on the fly (which no other Elektron currently does),

Lucky you. Check out the link to the MCL documentation in the very first post of this topic. All there, in a very solid manual. Also recommend using the search function on this site for a long thread documenting the evolution of the MegaCommand. Its an awesome bit of kit, that just keeps getting better.

5 Likes

Ahh, ok thanks! I see that now, Ill give it a read!

1 Like

Has anyone tested this OS for stability?

Iā€™m running 1.70 with the MCL and without. So far the MD OS is smooth as silk.

5 Likes

FW 1.70 here. Same experience. No issues.

4 Likes

So amazingā€¦ seriously, incredible job!

EDIT: Iā€™ll just keep positive thoughts. :slight_smile:

The update is going great, no problems. Itā€™s great that you can now select the MD tracks directly via the TI. The function of changing parameters on the MD is also great and speeds up the work. Many thanks for the hard work!

MKI only or MKII as well?

MKI only or MKII as well?

Both.

3 Likes

Good work! I know how difficult this kind of thing is too - Iā€™ve reverse engineered parts of operating systems, without the source in the past to fix bugs.

Iā€™m guessing that itā€™s meant pulling apart the binary, disassembling and re-generating from the relevant assembly language as a starting point.

Is there/could there be a Sysex to turn a step light on or off when in Trig Interface mode? Could be a nice controller for stuff if so

@JustinValer Are the techniques youā€™ve developed applicable to every Elektron device or have they changed the way their firmware is encoded?

Itā€™s already there, but still need further polishment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So brillant
if you add microtiming iā€™ll do whatever you want :heart_eyes: donā€™t care if you need to remove some other thing for that XD

1 Like

Wait. Youā€™re aware that MCLive had this for quite some time now, right?

1 Like

Cool as hell, impressive!

If you know the processor running a box and itā€™s off the shelf then invariably there are dev tools available that can turn some representation of the firmware (give or take some kind of transpilation process) into lines of code in front of you.

But to actually make any sense of that, to debug it, to add to it; THAT is extremely hard without some reference to the original source code or dev environment. Obvious examples being variable names and code comments.

This is how the Akai MPC1000 JJ OS was possible. It was done by part of the original dev team so they had the actual proprietary development environment.

In addition something like an MD has lots of peripheral components; the screen, the buttons, the UW sampler, the +Drive etc. You have to know how the firmware interacts with all that guff too!

Very impressive stuff!

1 Like