Machinedrum SPS1 Mk1 (non UW) Price going UP?

(sorry for the longish post!)

So, prices are going crazy for used Machinedrums the past few months. (For obvious reasons:)

I’m holding on to my SPS1 UW Mk2 + (along with my Monomachine and A4) - Can’t live without it.

But I also still have my original SPS1 Mk1, non UW in great shape.

The big question is how much further the price of a used original Machinedrum will climb (and should I hold on to it)??

I looked at FleaBay and Reverb…

Ebay completed listings suggest Mk1 goes for $1,000 - $1,200 USD in great shape (like mine).

Reverb doesn’t even have a Mk1 for sale, but past recent sale prices suggest the same.

Searched all Craigslist, and there are NONE.

So, what say you, Elektronaughts? Am I hanging on to the MkI for a while, or have we reached the top of it’s used value already?

(I remember a few years ago when I thought the prices for Pro 1s, Prophet 5s, Junos and minimoogs were INSANE, and now they’re double :slight_smile: - But anything can happen these days, with clones etc)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Earl

Its only money. Life it too short to worry over a few hundred here and there.

6 Likes

nobody will ever clone the Machinedrum. best chance is Elektron re-issuing it, but I also think that’s unlikely.

you already have one. if you’re after something new, why hang onto the other one, worrying over getting top dollar, and deny yourself that chance?

also, here’s a Reverb sales history of MK1 non-UW units, for reference:

Sell it for what you bought it for. It feels good to hook a fellow synth head up with a good deal.

2 Likes

Realistically prices will probably keep going up, at least to a degree.

I think if you want something you’d be fine selling it, but I would not trade it straight up for an Octatrack Mk1. A Mk2, maybe but even then I’d want cash back.

Point is, if you want something and selling it is the way to go, then sell it, but don’t give it away.

When it can do this…HOLD!!!

If you can afford to hold on to it and wait to see how far up they go, I say do that. No one in here is going to know the answer to that question, so your guess (or prediction) will be as good as anyone else’s.

Prices are slowly going down. I imagine they’ll stabilize to above what they once were but not as high as peak SOPHIE mania.

2 Likes

What was the relation with SOPHIE ?

When she died, the Machinedrum shot up in value along with the Monomachine.

2 Likes

Ahh, she was using them ?
That should be a testament to how little you need to make the freshest sounds.
Always thought she was well beyond her time.

I only know about her use of Monomachine. But true, a good artist with the right tools can do great things.

I just want to say that regardless of price the sps1 mk1 non uw is a masterpiece

With the unofficial firmware update and the chords feature I can get funky Wurlitzer out of it as well as the standard bleep bloop mayhem

But it’s deeper than that because the samples that are built in give you a texture that when juxtaposed with both the bleeps and bloops and chords lush drones booming basses etc you’re in full track in a box territory…surely everybody’s dream?!

1 Like

Can the OP make this an appreciation thread for the sps1 mk1 non uw?