MachineDrum sequenced by Digitakt

Hi there,

I try to pilot my MachineDrum sps1 with my Digitakt. But I don’t know what happened with the midi communication, nothing is working. The sync is ok Machinedrum is slave but I can’t play notes from the digitakt to the machinedrum.
I made a video to show it. It’s better than my English :sweat_smile:

Your Global settings on the Machinedrum are OK. What synthesis machines are you using on the tracks (for example track 1) that you want to make sound?

Your MIDI CONFIG settings on the Digitakt are OK. But you seem to have chosen the wrong note value in MIDI Track A. You chose C2, which on the DT is MIDI note number 24, but your MD is set in the Map Editor to respond to MIDI note number 36 (confusingly labelled C2 on the MD).

Try using C3 (note number 36) on MIDI Track A of the Digitakt.

5 Likes

It works now. Thank you

1 Like

I must admit this is a source of confusion for me. Am I able to set it up for the first 8 sounds on the MD are each set to their own track on the DT? Or do I have to sequence them all on one track using the chromatic keyboard?

Yes.

The MIDI mappings for the MD’s tracks are just different note numbers on the same MIDI channel number.

So you just need to set each separate DT MIDI track to transmit on the same MIDI channel number, but to send only the note number on each DT track that corresponds to the MD track that you want to sequence. Default note numbers for the MD’s tracks are on page B-1 of the MD manual, but you can change the assignments in the MD’s Map Editor.

1 Like

Thank you. That makes total sense. Just something I couldn’t wrap my brain around but it’s crystal clear now. Thanks!

Another question, sorry I’m a MIDI newb, is it possible to sequence the notes with the DT while simultaneously using the MD sequencer to program trigless locks on the same track?

Quick question, when you trigger the BD over MIDI on the MD, does the kick sound different than when you add a trig on its sequencer?

I read somewhere that the phase of the kick is different when triggering it via MIDI vs on its own sequencer… but I can’t confirm if there’s an audible difference.

It used to be that all externally triggered sounds would have their phase reversed in relation to internally triggered sounds. IIRC this has been fixed in one of the recent fw updates by the amazing mcl crew.

1 Like