Machinedrum, Octatrack, re-20 :: laid back tuff 95bpm funk track

working on a song structure for this number …

any thoughts or critiques most welcome.

2 Likes

Reminds me of Akufen a bit.

2 Likes

I hear a lot of good ideas at play here. One thing that I’d consider is taking a look at those drums again. They are muffled and lacking in definition. It sounds like you’re going for the tape saturation sound but the tape is beat and the high frequencies are suffering. A crisp sounding snare might do wonders for the drums for example.

At around the half way point I expected you to go Luomo on us, which is good by the way. Reference The Present Lover if you aren’t familiar.

1 Like

listening to Tessio by Lumeo right now, gorgeous - so very styling, casual yet totally a connoisseur selection of sounds. and yet halfway along the track i notice he intentionally loosens up the beat.

not only with a overarching percussion sound feature for five seconds, but in the pulse placement of different synth/rhythm sections going on in the main instrumentation.

listening on laptop but anyway still sounds epic.
i would love to DJ this style of audio vibe sometimes.

1 Like

cheers for noticing… yes i was listening to a lot of Akufen around 2006 - 2010. although he excels at utilising minuscule sound snippets, the perfection of start time and hold time … for each sample is like a beautiful haiku in and of itself.

also a sense of whimsical lightheartedness is quite often found in his cool tunes, occasional hilarity - having fun with the sonic rhythm frequency and groove options.

2 Likes

edit: the muffled drums could have been from a number of reasons, i don’t quite remember now.

could have been a hardware issue, or user error, or the inappropriate use of a guitar preamp/tube-drive hardware effect.

somehow there was a high-frequency hash sound that i was trying to deal with. i’m just glad the audio is still kind of listenable.

1 Like

Hey PL - I logged in specifically to tell you…I heard this on my phone and I really really like this.

For ideas, I might say that a modern-y sound with more high end or a “modern reverb” treatment might be a nice contrast later on in the track. I actually started coming up with vocoder parts and lyrics for this about 2/3rds of the way through so that’s what comes to mind. Imagine a modern “unnatural” reverb with some heavy high pass on a vocoder just dipping in here and there.

1 Like

just having a listen to Delroy, whoa the current tune is way wonky, super cool.
reminds me of what a californian coastal town weekend sunset near the headland might be like … also reminiscent of outer space technical infrastructure perhaps.

cheers for the tip re/ Hats … yes in fact lowering the hihat volume is a great idea in many scenarios.

cool idea about more high end for contrast later in the track.
awesome re/ vocoder and vocal part ideas … i should pm a potential email address for file sharing collab… or not, if there isn’t the time, anyway a vocal vocoder collab file exchange would be a welcome interaction.

cheers for the like and the unnatural reverb conceptualisation! :lips::sweat_smile::sunglasses: